directstart remote start trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
directstart remote start trouble

ok ive got a 92 f150....
\
i had a directstart remote start installed by a local dealer in the end of 2003....it worked sweet up until just recently ...i started getting a burning wires smell from under my dash every tinme i would let the truck run with the starter.......found 1 main power wire for the remote start control"brain" at the end of the wire where they used some type of splice connector to attach to a wire that already had power running in the harness under the steering column..,.the end of the sire got so hot that it caused the casing to melt/burn off theire and also this weird splice connector to burn so bad that it practically crumbled when i touched it ...

so i get the bright idea to cut out the bad piece of wire and ruined connector and put in a brand new piece of wire and attach it in place of the bad one ...i got it connected and the "brain" wouldnt power up...after much swearing and more troubleshooting i found i pulled the ground wire loose while fiddling around under the dash so i hooked it back up ...the "brain" powered up and the start function worked perfect...in the process of returning the "brain" to its hiding spot(tucked under the dash behind the metal bracket for the emergency brake pedal.....i managed to press the red button and since then all i get when i hit the start on the remote is 2 quick flashes of the parking lights and 2 corresponding clicks from a relay on the "brain"...this leads me to believe the brain is recieving the signal from the transmitter remote but the brain isnt interpreting the info correctly .....

my question is what did this red button do and how do i fix it

Old 10-17-2006, 03:23 PM
The red button typically puts it in "valet mode" But, you usually have to hold it for a few seconds. I wonder if the "brain" lost it's programming. It is not as simple with most units just to hook it up, they have to be calibrated to the starting characteristics of your particular truck (max start RPM, idle RPM failsafes, etc.) so the remote starter knows when to stop cranking. On mine (different brand) they hooked up a laptop via serial port to program it. I hate to say it, but unless you can try to get it out of valet mode (if that is what it is in, check your manual) then you may have to take it back to the shop.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:49 PM
ok as an update

it is still not fixed i visited other local installers 2 of which told me they didnt carry this brand and they could do nothing for me...the third said they didnt carry this brand but told me to come back during the hours that theyre tech/installers worked and they "may be able to help" but this is no guarantee...

i have no manual bc it was installed by a local car accessories shop that has since become"poof gone like a fart in the wind" closed so i am out of luck with that......

also it turns out i do not have a directstart unit as i thought the id sticker under the hood of the truck has it listed as direKt start spelled with a "K" which leads me to believe that this is a cheap knockoff of the directstart line...

i do have some pictures of the unit as i cant find a model number the only thing i can find on the control unit is the words "fabrique sous norme" and the "iso 9001 " stamp both on a sticker and molded into the back cover but as i gather info here that seems to be a stamp for quality control.....

Old 10-19-2006, 06:50 PM
2 more pics

Old 04-20-2011, 03:18 PM
I know this is way old but it came up in a search when i was looking in google so I'm posting the answer i got which took me months of searching

Full manual for Direkt Start
https://rapidshare.com/files/4583952...on_800__FE.pdf

Old 04-24-2011, 11:07 AM
dsly1...

thanks for the reply but i ended up getting that remote start unit replaced by a trusted shop with an ASTROSTART starter which is a brand carried by 4 different shops around here so i dont think i will have issues with service and that truck got retired in march of 2008 when i got my new truck >>99f150 4x4 which came with a valet remote starter already installed

Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 PM
funny, i ripped it out too. turned out it wasn't working at all anyway.
Unfornately i replaced it with another cheap replacement. I guess it works fine but its not a brand name and has very few options. I should have bought something good. meh.

Quick Reply: directstart remote start trouble