Northeast CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT, WV

CT ..Conteplating 4X4 vs 4X2..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CT ..Conteplating 4X4 vs 4X2..

I'm thinking of coming back to an f150..Looking into a Supercrew F150..Family is expanding..I've had a Ranger 4x4 for a few years...I'm really wondering if I REALLY need the 4x4 in the new truck...The only place I've absolutely needed it was in my driveway...It's steep..But that's what...4 time a year????

Thoughts of a 4x2 in CT?

I used to have a 4x2 flareside..but that never saw snow...

Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 PM
well if you do you better have plenty of bags of concrete handy for when the snow is coming down. god knows ive been dealing enough with the garbage around here when it is coming down. ct for some reason doesnt start plowing snow until you just cant drive anywhere anymore. so if you plan on getting anywhere get the 4x4. 2 years ago i was going up the merrit by sikorsky and NOBODY could make it up the hill southbound. man i was laughin my *** off goin in the opposite direction.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:21 PM
4x4

4wd isnt a cure all. A while back I was driving my Jeep cj-7 , which is a pretty serious toy. It had everything except locking differentials. I tried to do a simple u turn to reverse direction. Apon entering the snow covered shoulder of the road , foward progress stopped. power was being sent to the wheels with the least traction and I was going nowhere. Granted if I had it engaged in 4wd before the stuck I wouldnt have been stuck in the first place. I was glad I had invested in a very capeable winch wich I quickly spooled out and anchored to free myself. The other thought I have for you is quoting my Dad " You can only go as fast as the fool in front of you ." I personally wouldnt buy a truck that isnt 4wd . and I stay off the road when its snowwing hard unless its absolutely neccessary.

Last edited by Jon Bourget; 07-20-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:03 PM
I'd go for the 4x4. I've only been living in CT for a bit over two years, but my experience thus far has been that they do a terrible job in clearing both the state and municipal roadways. I've seen several close calls on side streets, and my girlfriend was rear-ended by a semi during a storm back in February on an inexcusably snow covered Route 84 in Hartford.

When it comes time to purchase, check out Arcari Motors out in Tolland, I bought my 2005 Lariat Screw from them back in February, and got a great deal compared to what the Ford dealerships wanted.

Quick Reply: CT ..Conteplating 4X4 vs 4X2..