upgrade navagation

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrade navagation

I recently purchased a 2014 xlt and I want to upgrade and add a gps system.
The ford dealer want 3K to upgrade. I know there are after market gps systems
but I am concern with compatibility. Any suggestion on what type of system
would work.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 AM
Compatibility with what?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Wink Compatability

I don't know what type system you are looking at but if you're talking about a Ford Sync nav unit whoever is selling the radio would be the one to make sure you are getting the one you need for your truck. I just completed a "upgrade" from a radio/cd player to a 2 din Nav unit on my 09 f150 with sync only. I bought from Infotainment.com they will guide you in selection. I wanted a lock pick as well but that had to come from Camera Source. My truck came with factory back up camera in the tailgate emblem which displayed in the rear view mirror and was so tiny I really hated it. I now have what I wanted with the display in the navigation window and the rear mirror. The only real issue I had was finding where to tap in to get the video signal for the the rear camera. I found that information right here on the the forum, the wires you need (if you have factory rear camera already) are located behind the driver side kick panel, I used a video cable that I cut one end connector off and made the tap in with those splices that you don't have to cut the wires on, which are used on lots of trailer lights wiring and most people do not care for but they worked for me. They will make sure the unit you get is programmed for the vin # truck you have. Sorry for the long post but it did take me several attempts at working and researching to get it right. But really happy with it now. If you don't have a factory rear camera already not a big deal just means you'll have to purchase on and install it but that should make it easier to tie in to the Nav unit. Good luck with it, it is well worth the trouble, but expensive and I wouldn't done it if I weren't planning to keep the truck for a few years. I hope this helped you and I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have. Robert

Quick Reply: upgrade navagation