beware of hack installers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation beware of hack installers

i went to have my sirius ecl1 installed in my truck today(eclipse specific piece). had to pick a new installer because the last one kept blowing me off. got the radio out, and first, there was no plug to go from the headunit to the din cable. it's part of the original package....the installer just didnt attach it, nor did i get it when the vehicle was returned to me. so, the new installer ran all the cables and antenna, and when the $30 cable i had to technically re-purchase comes in, the new installer shoewd me how to install it. should take 5-10 minutes. i guess there is a bracket that was supposed to be installed on the headunit as well to prevent rattling....but the new installer showed me that the old installer just put 4 pieces of velcro together to take up the space. wow. and also part of the faceplate was apparently broken during install, so the old installer just half-assed glued it together instead of installing a new piece. geez, this was not what i expected for $1695 installed. granted, had the original installer kept any of his appts, or i decided not to get sirius, i would have not known any of this, but none-the-less, i do, and there will be no more customer referrals or attempts to buy or have items installed from said "professional" installer. just had to rant!

Last edited by 03expyeb; 01-03-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Another example of why I install everything myself. I just do not trust anyone else to do the job correctly. Sorry to hear about your problems. I would be going back to the original installer and pointing out each and every thing you found. That is just sloppy, rushed work.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:29 PM
I would definitely go tell them face to face what you found and give them a chance to make it right.....It may have just been a one time deal and they may be glad to make it right.....Im just a second chance kind of guy and if it is someone from this board.....before you trash their name for something that may have only happened one time , I feel like you should let them know and give them a chance to make it right......if you do that and they dont nothing or get offended then you have every right to turn the dogs loose on them.

Just my opinion.

Otis Da Whino

Old 12-11-2007, 09:45 PM
With no names mentioned yet i would PM that person and see if he can make it right but if not LOOK OUT cause he comes the judge

Old 12-12-2007, 02:25 AM
Sorry to hear that man. Some installers do crap work and crap fixes. It really upsets me because that doesnt help out the industry at all and you spent beau coup (bookoo) money to have your car and everything work perfectly.

Always double check your installers name out before he touches your vehicle. Make sure he knows his stuff and has GOOD references/pictures of installs.

Thank God I live in Louisiana and your way up north... CANT BE ME!!!

Last edited by Low_e_Red; 12-12-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Was this a shop or just a self proclaimed installer? As a rep over your area for several lines I like to be aware of shortcomings of certain dealers.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:29 AM
well known dealer

Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Care to share the name? You can PM if you would like.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe
Care to share the name? You can PM if you would like.

check pm's

Old 12-17-2007, 02:23 PM
i faxed a copy of the invoice for that cable today. i would like to be refunded the money for the cable, but i'm sure the fax will just "disappear."

Old 12-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Since you have not posted an update to this situation 03expyeb, I figuered it was time to set the record straight. I did the installation of your radio. You failed to tell everyone that your vehicle had a factory nav radio, which is not the typical stock size dash opening. The dash bezel is not broken, it is glued to the radio because nobody makes a bolt on dash kit for your truck. Its not halfassed glued, infact its centered perfectally on the radio(not easily done on a 1/16th" edge). The new installer failed to show you where the "bracket" was supposed to be bolted onto the radio BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUCH LOCATION ON THE BACK OF AN ECLIPSE NAV RADIO! I could have left the radio hanging from the front brackets alone and let it slam against the lower dash support brace. Instead I used velcro to hold it in place without any rattles. You were only upset at the velcro because you had to take the radio in and out several times cause the new installer sold you a BAD PLUG. You also failed to mention we were actually willing to do the job, gave you a deep discount, and picked up and delivered your vehicle. As far as the invoice it wasn't $30 infact about half that, and I seemed to have misplaced it somewhere, an update to your post may help me find it.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:40 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
i second the vote to just install stuff yourself

Old 12-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by nothinbutaford
Since you have not posted an update to this situation 03expyeb, I figuered it was time to set the record straight. I did the installation of your radio. You failed to tell everyone that your vehicle had a factory nav radio, which is not the typical stock size dash opening. The dash bezel is not broken, it is glued to the radio because nobody makes a bolt on dash kit for your truck. Its not halfassed glued, infact its centered perfectally on the radio(not easily done on a 1/16th" edge). The new installer failed to show you where the "bracket" was supposed to be bolted onto the radio BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUCH LOCATION ON THE BACK OF AN ECLIPSE NAV RADIO! I could have left the radio hanging from the front brackets alone and let it slam against the lower dash support brace. Instead I used velcro to hold it in place without any rattles. You were only upset at the velcro because you had to take the radio in and out several times cause the new installer sold you a BAD PLUG. You also failed to mention we were actually willing to do the job, gave you a deep discount, and picked up and delivered your vehicle. As far as the invoice it wasn't $30 infact about half that, and I seemed to have misplaced it somewhere, an update to your post may help me find it.
lol...can't wait to hear the reply on this one

Old 12-30-2007, 06:10 AM
wow this is great!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by nothinbutaford
mark, you are right...i didn't update this thread...though not on purpose. also, i never gave your user info out....i did that on purpose in case we resolved this. this was posted weeks ago...out of anger. i only posted based on the info that the other installer gave me. i know you are busy, but had you kept any of the several appointments we had set up to install the sirius, i would have never known of these so-called "flaws." i give you credit....you explained everything to me after the fact, and i hadn't had the chance to get back on here and delete or fix the post...as you knew, i left for FL christmas day...and the sirius was only finally working just before that. i never said i didn't appreciate you picking the vehicle up and dropping it off. as far as refunding the plug, when we recently spoke....i didn't even bring it up....so i assume you realized it wasn't an issue anymore. i will try to figure out who mods this forum and have this post deleted....unless you want it to stay on!

Quick Reply: beware of hack installers