Ford Factory Navigation install on 2005 F150

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Factory Navigation install on 2005 F150

Hey folks-- this is hopefully some helpful information for folks interested in installing the 2007 Ford Factory Nav in their F150. These are my experiences--I'm not an expert, but I hope this helps...

Visit the gallery (I put descriptions on each picture for explanations)...
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=12543

I purchased the nav unit off eBay, but I made sure the item was a take-off from an actual F150 (and not another model). I also made sure to get the nav DVD and factory GPS antenna with the unit. I plugged the unit in, of course making the modifications to the mounting brackets (triming the plastic back behind them) and after I found a mounting location for the antenna, everything worked just fine. I have taken it out on tests, and so far everything is working great.

I've got plans to add an amp to the main speakers and then add a subwoofer as well. I'd say the unit has about the same power as the MP3/6-Disc unit that my truck came with (leaves something to be desired). So far I have added Inifity Reference component speakers in the front, and 2-ways in the rear. I think the extra amp will add more to the sound as well as the subwoofer filling in the low range. I'll post more pictures when I get around to doing all this over the next few weeks. Stay tuned.

If anyone has general questions about the factory nav, just let me know--I'd be happy to contribute. Enjoy...

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=12543

Old 12-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Factory Nav unit

Does this unit have the 6 disc & mp3 capability? What about the Sirius Satellite as well??
Thanks, BTW, very helpful.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Do you have the rear DVD entertainment system?

Old 12-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Yes, the factory nav does have the 6 disc changer inside as well as the MP3 disc capability. I have tested both and they work fine. MP3 displays tag info on the screen. I'm not sure about about satellite radio--I don't see anything on it to suggest it would (there isn't another antenna slot on the back).

Old 12-08-2006, 05:39 PM
My truck came pre-wired for the DVD entertainment system, but I don't know where the wires end up. So the harness is there, and I plugged it in, but there's no source for it. I'm trying to get the wiring colors on the harness, as I'm convinced the harness has to at least have a L and R channel that I could splice into and create my own "ipod" adapter. I can select the "Aux" source on the nav system, but obviously there is no signal right now. I'll let you all know if I figure it out. It would be pretty could if you could use it for an iPod input!

JP

Old 12-09-2006, 08:01 PM
If I'm not being too nosy, how much did the factory nav unit cost?

It would be nice to be able to keep the factory rear seat entertainment system and still have an in dash navigation system.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:05 PM
I paid $1050 for it from an eBay seller. The unit I bought was a take-out from a 2007 F150. That was the key component I looked for, to insure compatibility. I also made sure to get the nav DVD and antenna. There are many other units from Mercury's and Explorers on eBay that I think need reprogramming in order to be fully functional (something to do with the speed sensing maybe?). Anyway I thought $1050 was a pretty good deal, especially given that most aftermarket units start at that price point and go all the way up to $2000 (also the factory option lists at about $2500 I think from Ford).

JP

Old 12-12-2006, 03:37 PM
07 Facotry GPS in 06 Ford f150

QUick question. Was it as easy as plug and play? I have an 06 F150 crew cab xlt with the 6 disc cd changer and bought an 07 take out factory GPS/6 disc CD, etc. How hard was it to install? Thanks

Grease

Old 12-12-2006, 05:34 PM
The harnesses (3) were all plug in play. The only things you need really are the antenna adapter (Chrysler style believe it or not) and then you have to shave down the plastic where the unit mounts to the dash (if you want it to be flush like the original). Then you just have to mount the GPS antenna, and you're all set. Take a look at my photo album if you haven't had a chance--there are some pretty nice pictures to help you along the way.

Also, depending on what car your unit came out of, you may need some reprogramming done. Mine was from a 2007 F150, so there was none needed. However, I've heard if you get one from a mercury or others like the Explorer, you have to do some reprogramming (like at a dealer). I hope this helps,

JP

Old 12-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a great thread jayrock. I should be mad at you though cause now I'm looking into doing the same thing. My wallet is screaming "nooooo!" I too have an 05 Lariat and want that nav system so bad. I work at a Ford dealer and am having the local Ford radio shop price it all out for me. By the way, that unit will take the factory Sirius setup if you by the seperate Sirius reciever for it. It too is a plug and play deal, thats what I am going to do. Congrats on the new system.

Last edited by SAJEFFC; 12-12-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey folks-- here's some more helpful info for mods on the factory audio system...

Main Harness

Rear Entertainment Harness

Sub Harness

I'm trying to use the rear entertaiment harness to make my own aux-in jack for my iPod. I'll let everyone know how it goes. In theory it should work, but I'm not sure how the CAN-BUS communicates with the radio. I'm going to leave those two wires in tact and just mess with the L/R +/-, so hopefully it will work. Stay tuned...

JP

Old 12-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good info jayrock. That nav unit shoud have an input jack for the i-pod plug. The 07's come with the ipod jack standard so the radio should have it. The menu screen on the nav unit has a section labeled "line in" which is for the i-pod jack. I plan on ordering the dash top tray with the jack for mine and have it installed at the same time. Good luck with yours.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Jayrock

Thanks. Your online gallery was phenomenal! I installed mine in about 40 minutes tops. Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 12-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Update on the rear entertainment "aux-in" - line in harness. So I tried making my own iPod adapter (1/8 stereo), using the wiring diagram on the rear entertainment harness (see above) -- there is a positive and negative for both left and right channels. I connected the negatives together as the common, and then the Right positive to the inner tip and the left positive to the outer tip of the 1/8 female jack. Bad news though-- no signal. The CAN bus must communicate some other type of signal that opens up the L/R channels so the unit plays them. So when you select the "line-in" option on the radio, it displays "Entertainment System Enabled", but no sound comes through. I double checked all my connections, and still no sound. I guess I will need a special harness that sends data through the CAN bus channels to open up the harness for L/R. So I'm thinking about buying one of these: Precision Interface Electronics FRD04-AUX Adapter to see if that will do the trick. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Old 12-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by jayrock
Update on the rear entertainment "aux-in" - line in harness. So I tried making my own iPod adapter (1/8 stereo), using the wiring diagram on the rear entertainment harness (see above) -- there is a positive and negative for both left and right channels. I connected the negatives together as the common, and then the Right positive to the inner tip and the left positive to the outer tip of the 1/8 female jack. Bad news though-- no signal. The CAN bus must communicate some other type of signal that opens up the L/R channels so the unit plays them. So when you select the "line-in" option on the radio, it displays "Entertainment System Enabled", but no sound comes through. I double checked all my connections, and still no sound. I guess I will need a special harness that sends data through the CAN bus channels to open up the harness for L/R. So I'm thinking about buying one of these: Precision Interface Electronics FRD04-AUX Adapter to see if that will do the trick. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Hey Jay, I'm using the same PIE AUX adapter with my Ford Nav system
my Nav is like yours, it come out of an 07 F150. It's basically plug and play -however you do need to tap into a 12v power source and ground.
To listen using the iPOD - press MEDIA button then the DVD tab on the screen.

Quick Reply: Ford Factory Navigation install on 2005 F150