What Fits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 05:12 PM
eGo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Fits?

Hi All,

New to these forums and have a few questions.. I have a 98 F150 Lariat w/Triton 5.4L V8. It came with the 6 disc changer located on the drivers side in what would not be the 4th door on all the newer models.

I'm looking into getting one of the Eclipse (or similar from other brands) Navigation systems for my truck, but am curious if it will be able to control the existing 6 disc changer? Crutchfield says "Doesn't Fit" when I select any of these models that I like. Is there a reason for this? I really don't want to put a single DIN head unit in the dash to replace the original as that would just look stupid to me.

Any and all info is appreciated. I'll post pictures of my truck later. Right now it's just stock, but several mods to come over the next few months.

eGo

Old 06-19-2006, 09:34 PM
eGo
My Research..

Well, since nobody else who has a 98 F150 seems to have tried to install one of these (At least that's my assumption due to the number of views and lack or replies), I went out and looked over my dash to see if I could figure out why it doesn't fit. The only thing that I can see is that the cowling that goes around the vents, radio, airbag switch and climate controls is rounded at the top and may keep the unit from opening. But, that is easy to fix with a dremel and some time and patience (and some paint haha). I will probably stop by a local audio shop and get some exact measurements and post my findings later. Hopefully this info will help somebody else who is interested in installing one of these.

eGo

Old 06-20-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't think you would have to trim what you have but you will have some gaps to fill. I typically use a metra 99-5805 kit for many similar situations. You can just use the trim ring of the kit in combination with the factory mounting bracket to get a good clean fit. Unfortunately I don't know if there is a specific kit for that truck for a double din radio, there are plenty of single din kits but they are set up wrong for making into a double din kit.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:51 PM
eGo
Thanks ;)

And you may very well be right. But it's the top corners that are quite rounded which I'm worried about possibly keeping the LCD from opening and closing properly. But if one of the dash kits takes care of that problem that's great too. But if the kit is going to make it stick out further than it being flush or behind the cowling I'd rather mod it to fit closer to the dash. I may post some pictures of the dash later for people to figure out what the heck I'm talking about. Thanks for your ideas

eGo

Old 06-22-2006, 09:45 PM
eGo
Stock CD Changer?

Will I be able to use the stock 6 disc changer that came in my F150? I would hate to have to buy another one.. Anybody using the stock changer with an aftermarket headunit?

TIA

eGo

Quick Reply: What Fits?