F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Multimedia & Navigation (https://www.f150online.com/forums/multimedia-navigation-97/)
-   -   Pioneer AVIC-D1 questions... (https://www.f150online.com/forums/multimedia-navigation/195171-pioneer-avic-d1-questions.html)

Lariat4xSCrew 07-20-2005 07:23 PM

Jenerator:

Yes, the D1 prevents you from changing your destination while in motion. All that is available is "Return Home" and "Vicinity Search" which allows you to look for fast food, gas etc in the area. A cool feature except that it prevents you from scrolling past the first page!

What I find amazing is that you can tune the XM radio (what, 122 channels!!!) and the other radio functions but for some reason I may kill myself by scrolling to the next page of the vicinity search results!

Cwilley - I found the answer I was looking for on the Motorola Bluetooth here: http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/manu...r_Manual_E.pdf

Page 10 (12 on the pdf) under "Training You Car Kit's Internal Voice Recognition" states that it can use both the 100 internal memory AND your phone's voice dialing feature. Very cool!

Does anyone know of a BT unit that also displays the caller-ID on the AVIC screen?

jenerator 07-21-2005 10:46 AM

I agree with you about that...

Sounds like when all the Pioneer Software engineers were sitting around thinking of ways to cover their asses, they figured drivers will be distracted by changing Nav parameters.

I guess its along the same lines as people talking on their cell phones while driving.

I wounder if they will issue a software update if enough customers complain. Probley not.

Jenerator.

Lariat4xSCrew 07-21-2005 01:37 PM

I wonder how long it will take for some attorney to sue them saying "Hey, you know fiddling with NAV is dangerous, so why do you still let them adjust the radio?" Then we will have to pre-program our radios in advance too!

Your right, if enough people complain, MAYBE they will update the software (for a small fee of course ;) )

I'm still deciding on which bluetooth unit to install. I like the caller ID screen on the Parrott 3100 but like the small size and cool look of the Motorola 8500 and HF850's.

cwilley 08-01-2005 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lariat4xSCrew
Yes. Mine is being installed tomorrow. $100 at local shop installed. I think it's a PAC switch brand but not sure yet.

Hi -

Just curious, did you get the install done that allows your AVIC-D1 to work with the steering-wheel controls? If so, can you provide some details? I would love to get this done.

Thanks!
Chris

Lariat4xSCrew 08-01-2005 08:04 PM

Yes. I had the installer program the vol up/down the same as factory and the others are "Band" (since it's such a pain to do on the AVIC) (note key) and "Source" (preset key). Band toggles the Am/FM/XM1/2/3. Source toggles CD/Radio. I miss having the "next memory" item like on the factory but I feel the trade off is OK.

I am ordering a Motorola bluetooth car kit for my Mot V710 so that will provide mute. I do wish Ford had put at least one more set of buttons on the wheel. My wife's Chrysler Town and Country wheel controls can do virtually anything on the radio, AM/FM/CD/Tape/Vol/Track Up/Dn except turn it on and off!

cwilley 08-01-2005 11:40 PM

Cool; thanks for the info. Can you tell me what part(s) you need and where you got them? Also, did you do the install yourself?

What is your next project? Next on this list for me: backup camera, power-fold mirrors, DVD player/screens, performance chip. Now I just need to figure out how to pay for all of these toys!

Chris

Lariat4xSCrew 08-02-2005 02:00 AM

I was going to do it myself but ran out of time. I don't think it is really THAT hard if you take your time and go slow (and have some mechanical ability).

The shop used a Premier switch (made by PAC I think) and he said it took about 30 minutes to program. Ultimate Car Audio in Santa Clarita, ask for Brian if anyone is local enough. Next on the list is a back-up camera, bluetooth car kit, headrest monitors, PS2 (for the kids) and tonno cover. Oh, and I am installing a printer/fax scanner under the back seat (removable) for travelling. :lol:

crudeau 08-09-2005 09:21 AM

GOt mine in and everything works perfect.

You guys that have it, where did you put the GPS antennea? I ended up just putting mine right on top of the AVIC-D1 itself. I don't seem to have any problems.

varsity 08-10-2005 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by crudeau
You guys that have it, where did you put the GPS antennea? I ended up just putting mine right on top of the AVIC-D1 itself. I don't seem to have any problems.

My GPS antenna is up near the windshield on the passenger-side of the dashboard. I'll snap a few pics later on. Works very well in that location, and it's out of the way. My XM radio antenna is up on the roof just in front of the bed light.

Thumper24 08-10-2005 10:31 PM

Those of you with the antenna on the roof in front of the brake light:

I assume you ran the wire into the brake light assembly... does it enter into the cab from there, underneath the headliner?

crudeau 08-11-2005 09:41 AM

so non of you tried just sticking it on top of the headunit? huh. So far mine has been working perfect. Been in for a couple days now. I figure it should work fine because everything is just plastic that's above it. I'll see how it keeps working. I'm heading down to the shore next weekend. First real drive where I'm going to use the navi.

Thumper24 08-11-2005 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by crudeau
so non of you tried just sticking it on top of the headunit? huh. So far mine has been working perfect. Been in for a couple days now. I figure it should work fine because everything is just plastic that's above it. I'll see how it keeps working. I'm heading down to the shore next weekend. First real drive where I'm going to use the navi.

actually, i tried that in my last vehicle and it didn't exactly work out. it only picked up the signal when i was driving in a northern direction. not sure what was up with that... maybe since i'm in central texas, we're at the bottom of the satellite's reach or something...

crudeau 08-12-2005 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Thumper24
actually, i tried that in my last vehicle and it didn't exactly work out. it only picked up the signal when i was driving in a northern direction. not sure what was up with that... maybe since i'm in central texas, we're at the bottom of the satellite's reach or something...

Really, I'll have to keep on an eye on mine. I like it in there since you can't see it. So far so good. I'm planning a trip to upstate NY next month, and then a North Carolina trip this winter. So I'll have to see how it does.

I also put a normal closed momentary switch on my parking brake wire. This way all the Navigation features work while driving. I just have to bump the switch when I first turn on the unit. Not a big deal. More convienant than pulling over.

dufunnel 08-12-2005 02:13 PM

Looks like the new Motorola IHF1000 announces caller ID. Anyone know if that's the only difference in it and the HF850?

kgalappatti 10-30-2005 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lariat4xSCrew
Jenerator:

Does anyone know of a BT unit that also displays the caller-ID on the AVIC screen?

I too have been searching for something like this. I presently use a bluetooth headset but would like something more integrated to the vehicle. I have the AVIC-D1 installed in a 2005 Expedition and would like to have the BT integrated into the AVIC-D1.