Lincoln Blackwood & Mark LT

Looked at the Mark LT this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Looked at the Mark LT this weekend...

I'll be in the market for a new/used vehicle late this summer. I took a look at the Mark LT this weekend and was impressed, although I had sticker shock until I did some research.

I started this search THINKING I wanted a pre-owned Lexus GX470 or Touareg, until I looked at what I was going to have to pay. A two year old CPO Lex with 25000 miles will still run around $42000...I have a hard time paying that for a used car, even if it has the extended warranty. I can get a good deal on a Touareg, but that vehicle has serious problems maintenance wise...check ebay and look at the number of factory buybacks that have been up for auction. Consumer Reports gives it a "black" dot for reliability, so that's out...I can't see spending that kind of $$$ and have it in the shop all the time. Either way, both of these vehicles are on the small side for me.

Whatever I buy, it'll be 4wd...I'll never go through another Nebraska winter without it! Plus, my next job will be in New York, which is almost as bad snow wise.

So, I went to the Lincoln dealer to check out the Mark LT. I went in thinking that the LT was just a dolled up F150...I was right, but I still liked what I saw. I like the all the chrome and the interior colors. The chrome wheels blew me away...

Still, it seemed like a lot of money compared with an F150. I looked up the invoice of the LT optioned out how I'll want it and compared it to a King Ranch invoice. There is $2369 difference, which I think may be worth the $$$ to have a vehicle that will not be so common...I think the LT will sell, but I doubt it'll be so popular that you'll see them around every corner (LT - $41030, KR - $38661). Besides, I like the LT styling more.

As I wrote above, it'll be late summer before I start looking to buy...I'm going to hold out for better financing / incentives, which I hope will start in late July or August. According to the dealer, I should qualify for the military and student rebate ($500 each), plus whatever else they'll offer.

Mods I'll probably make:
- Nav system...I like the new Alpine system with XM and traffic tracking. Kind of pricey, but supposedly worth it. Maybe the price will come down this summer, but that's probably wishful thinking.
- I'll probably replace the speakers with aftermarkets...maybe Alpine or Polk Audio, along with amps to get the most out of them.
- DVD in the headrests...haven't seen them for the LT yet, but I'm sure they're coming.
- Line-X bed liner
- Different tail lights when they become available.
- Pace Edwards roll top t-cover...with or without the electric motor, not sure which will be better for me.

Anyway, that's the story. Any advice or suggestions would really help. I'll be looking to buy at or near invoice...if I can't do that when I start looking, I'll probably wait until I can.

Paul

Old 04-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Really Old "Member"
Paul:

Just a few comments, and this is certainly no expert opinion.

I think the LT is priced very competitively and as it is a Lincoln, I think this puppy will get some legs.

I know little about aftermarket Nav systems or DVD systems but you might want to look at trying to get a salvage system/s from another Ford truck. The current systems, I am thinking now of what we have in our Navigator, are top notch and from the factory cost about the same as the aftermarket stuff but are engineered for the vehicles. Sadly, a lot of our trucks with this equipment get wrecked or otherwise totalled and often the systems are still completely usable. I only wish this stuff had been available in 1992 so I could try to find factory systems to put in my 1992 Town Car. I will have to go aftermarket for the Nav system (don't want a DVD system for this one).

I would imagine that once the initial feeding frenzy is over for the first production units, you should be able to bargain a little better.
Several of us on this board did exactly that when purchasing/leasing our Blackwoods. In my case, I did not wait quite long enough, but my Lightning was coming off lease and I needed a ride. Cost me about $5K.
Bill

Old 04-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks Bill...

Great advice on the factory system...I'll check out what is available on ebay once I buy the truck. I bet I could get a pretty good deal.

Paul

Old 04-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Looked at the LT yesterday. I am afraid I think it is one ugly, overpriced baby. The chrome makes it look like some kind of pimpmobile. Chrome wheels on a pickup truck. The leather is not in the same league with a King Ranch and they want 4,000 more than a King Ranch. I would trade my King Ranch for one if they gave me about 10,000 to boot.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Saw one too

Basically an F150 Supercrew with chrome trip, different wheels, and special grill. At least you can get it in 4wd, unlike the Blackwood. I just tend to find the Escallade EXT to be a more attractive package.

Quick Reply: Looked at the Mark LT this weekend...