Lightning

Sylvania Silver Star walkthrough

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight & Fog Lamp bulb changing tutorial

Hi guys,

I just did the install for both my headlights and fog lights. While I can't speak for the quality of the bulbs yet (sun's still up), I'd like to give you a walkthrough of the install so you won't make the same lame mistakes I did.

First, bulb selection. You want the 9007 for the headlights (65/55 wattage, same as stock) and 9005 (65 watts) for the fog lights. Do NOT get the 9006 bulbs! Even though they are lower wattage, they won't fit the fog light plugs.

Second, read the owner's manual if you have it. I failed to do this step and that's what caused me to take longer than usual for the install.

For those of you who bought used without a manual, or who don't know where their manual is, here are the basics...

---
I. Headlights

1. Open the hood.

2. Find the black tabs (2) above each headlight. Push them slightly back towards the cab of the truck, then pull up. They should move up about 3/4".

3. Gently slide the headlight forward out of the truck. You may need to push it out from behind a little.

4. When the headlight is fully out, disconnect the plug from the bulb. The headlight should now be completely free of the truck.

5. There is a large plastic ring surrounding the lamp. Rotate it counter-clockwise (I think) to remove it. It doesn't take hardly any effort so be careful.

6. Once the ring is removed, remove the bulb from the headlight housing by pulling it directly out. It will give you some "rubbery" resistance - wiggling it slightly helps. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE GLASS OF THE BULB!

7. Insert the new 9007 into the headlight housing. There are grooves and tabs that need to line up. Again, DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS OF THE BULB.

8. Replace the plastic ring and reattach the plug.

9. Carefully replace the headlight assembly back into the truck. You may need to move the alignment bolts around a bit to get them back into the holes. (This will be apparent once you're doing it.)

10. Make sure the rubber grommets are all the way inside their mounting holes, then slide the two black levers down into place.

11. Do the other side, shut the hood, and you're done!

---
II. Foglamps

1. Detach the plug from behind the foglamp bulb by pushing in the tab and pulling down on the whole assembly. Mine were pretty sticky so it might take some force - just be careful not to break anything, of course. You may want to turn your truck's tires away from the side that you're working with, for more maneuvering room.

2. Rotate the bulb counter-clockwise until it stops (about 45 degrees), then gently but firmly remove it from the back of the foglamp housing. Once again, DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS OF THE BULB.

3. Install the 9005 into the housing, then lock it down by turning it clockwise until it stops. You haven't touched the glass of the bulb, right? Good.

4. Replace the plug and do the other side.

---

Hope that helps! Sorry for the length, but I'm all about details.

-Ollie

Last edited by felonious; 08-06-2002 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:13 PM
Rest In Peace
Wink

Nice write up thanks. I am a pro at that though as i have went through a few sets of superwhites. Like you said you want to make sure not to touch the bulb. Any oil from your skin will cause it to blow out. i learned this the hardway with my first set. Not even month and my fog light was blown out . I ordered my Sylvania Silver Star bulbs the other day and i will have them friday.

Last edited by BadAzz516; 08-06-2002 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:40 PM
BadAzz516

ok I have to ask..... Order? was it that much cheaper to order instead of just picking them up at autozone?

I bought mine from autozone, MUCH brighter than the stock ones.

Johnie

Old 08-06-2002, 11:57 PM
Rest In Peace
lxtac
They were 24.99 a piece i think for all 4 bulbs plus shipping it was 106.00 i got them at www.autobarn.com As for me there are no local autozones where i live i have R and S Straus which they only sell the cheap bulbs. And any other shops around me are ricer shops and it was hard enough getting a set of PIAA's from them. So for me it was cheaper to order them right online have them to my door in a few days then go searching and finding out that the local places by me probably didnt have them . I will put them in friday when i get them and let you guys know what i think.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:12 AM
O I C...... I just did the heads (9007's) and I think it was 52 bucks from autozone. Advance Auto Parts here also sells them. I am not sure how i would survive with out a local autozone near by

Johnie

Old 08-07-2002, 01:41 AM
Banned
I just ordered all 4 bulbs, 9007's and 9005's from a guy on ebay. His username was suvconcepts and it was only $89 shipped.
Mike

Old 08-07-2002, 12:27 PM
Update

Well, I finally got to see them at night last night. I have to say, I wasn't all that impressed with the 9007 headlights. The color temperature is a lot cooler, but I don't think they're substantially brighter. With most of these "cool" bulbs, that coating on the bulb will actually make it darker than clear. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised at all if these bulbs were actually a little dimmer than stock. IMHO, not worth the money.

HOWEVER, the new 9005 fogs are awesome and highly recommended. They are most definitely brighter than stock. I can't speak for longevity though - that higher wattage might cause some problems down the road.

-Ollie

Old 08-07-2002, 12:33 PM
watch out i had superwhite bulbs in my headlight and fog and my fog light turn goldish cause the bulb caseing got to hot and i went thru to pairs of fog light assemblys just my 2 cents
later
ryan

Old 08-13-2002, 07:57 PM
Banned
Before
After

Old 08-13-2002, 08:41 PM
For me the silverstars made a huge difference.....

Old 08-13-2002, 09:29 PM
When you remove the headlamp assembly from the truck is there an opening for air to move through to the air filter?? I was thinking about this at the track last week and have not looked at it yet. Just remove the light at the track??!? Would this work?

Old 08-14-2002, 12:45 PM
My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think there's a metal barrier between the back of the headlight and the engine compartment.

-Ollie

Old 08-14-2002, 12:48 PM
Rest In Peace
Thumbs up

I love my silver star bulbs .

Old 08-14-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 2020is
When you remove the headlamp assembly from the truck is there an opening for air to move through to the air filter?? I was thinking about this at the track last week and have not looked at it yet. Just remove the light at the track??!? Would this work?
Yes there is a hole behind the light, but the radiator fluid reservoir is between the hole and the filter, so it wouldn't be a direct "line of sight" shot to the filter. I can't see much, if any, improvements to be had there. However it only takes about 5 seconds to take the light out... just push the little black clips (two of them) backwards towards the cab and pull up. You could try it one night and see if it helps. Let me know if it does!

Later,
Johnie

Old 08-15-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by lxtac

You could try it one night and see if it helps. Let me know if it does!

Later,
Johnie
It gave me .05-.1 your results will vary. Like you said...it only takes seconds to remove it. Can't hurt to try it for youself.

Quick Reply: Sylvania Silver Star walkthrough