Lightning

some cylinders ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some cylinders ?????

Not sure if but there is definately something wrong with the second cylinder in on the passenger side. During my routine check it turned out that spark plug was messed up, one side was a nice tannish brown tint, the other was not. It looked as if it ran really hot and part of the plug bubbled Not cool.

heres a pic:

All the other plugs are like the good side of this one. A tannish color when not hot.

I'm wondering if it may be an ongoing thing, or maybe a just once detonation that I didn't hear. So I'm gonna get a new plug and see if that one turns out the same way.

Any input?

and for those that don't know my engine mods: chip, filter w/homeade cool air, 2lb lower, breather cap

Last edited by captainoblivious; 07-14-2002 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-14-2002, 05:13 PM
I d/k what plugs you're using but I'd step up one heat range colder just to be safe--all the plugs.

Dan

Old 07-14-2002, 05:18 PM
are those TR5 or TR6's?

Old 07-14-2002, 08:02 PM
TR5's in there right now.

LIGHTNINROD - I may just switch up to the TR6's which are 1 step cooler. Still it's just the one cylinder.

This is why it's good to check the plugs every few thousand miles.

Old 07-14-2002, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Pete
Spend the money.........on Denso's

Old 07-14-2002, 08:23 PM
i had the same problem with 2cyls on my V-10. i pulled the injectors and had them flow tested, cleaned and balanced to within 1% of each other. it really made a difference and smoothed out the idle. the before flow variance, was as much as 40% difference in the flow rate of the worst and the best.

Old 07-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Looks like you nipped the ground electrode slightly. Heat or detonation or both. I'd check the A/F ratio, then have a look at the injectors.

I run a regular regimine of injector cleaner through my truck. I had a slight detonation, and this helped.

I'd definitely look into a colder plug. TR-5's are on range hotter than stock.

Old 07-14-2002, 10:54 PM
MRBBQ - I haven't run anything through to clean the injectors in a couple thousand miles, may just be time for that.

Jay - I thought the TR5's are one step cooler then stock, and the TR6's where 2 steps cooler? Anyway I really think I'm gonna be switching over to TR6's sometime this week, I'd rather be safe til I can afford that built engine.

Bruce - those are little to pricey for a last minute need quick change sparkplugs. Going to Wildwood on tuesday and I don't want anything to happen on the drive down there.

Heres some better quality pics:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 07-15-2002, 06:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pete
You want me to look for my stock plugs? They only had 7500 miles on them when I took them out. I think they are still out in the garage....somewhere

Old 07-15-2002, 07:57 PM
Bruce - no thanks I still have my stock plugs.

update - on the way back from skydiving I stopped by JDM. Jim said the plugs were very glazed, and thinks it was one of 2 reasons:

1 - bad coil pack
2 - icing down intake, some water may have gotten in and a alittle dripped into the cylinder, and on startup caused it.

I'm leaning more towards number 1. Anyway, cleaned the plug up and put it back in, and some fuel injector cleaner. Gonna take the truck on a trip down to Wildwood, and when I get back if it looks the same problem solved, if not, gonna get some new coil packs (or maybe one) and TR6's.

Well, this is why I highly recommend everyone pull the plugs and check them periodically. You can tell alot from how they look, and checking them may be the difference between a blown engine and preventing it.

Quick Reply: some cylinders ?????