Lightning

Newbie..To buy or not to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 04:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie..To buy or not to buy???

Hey whats up guys/gals? Needless to say im new to the board and I have been reading some posts and they got me worried. I was thinking about getting a Lightning like at the end of the year or next summer but I want to do some research first. First off I wanted something fast but reliable and it seems im looking at the wrong vehicle. I really want a truck and I personally like the look of the Lightning but have considered the Dodge RT10 or Chevy SS if they do indeed come out (dont flame me for that comment) I currently have my 2 daily drivers my Eclipse and my Probe, I also have a MR2 Turbo with too much money invested, and im getting tired of it because of it's relability (2 rebuild's in 3 months) My buddy has a Saleen and is trying to get me to buy the 03 Cobra but I dont need another 12 sec car Am I being paranoid here or should I worry if I do get a Lightning, It wouldnt be stock for long but im not going all out, just the basic bolt on's.Sorry about the long post for my first but Im just a little excited.

BTW I raced a lightning (well not really a race) on the freeway in my Eclipse I pulled up to him just to see if he would race and sure enough he took off I just wanted to see that thing go, that's when I was hooked.

Old 06-04-2002, 05:04 AM
u gotta pay to play!

stock they're reliable... minor mods, ok. start bumpin up the boost, well....

Old 06-04-2002, 05:10 AM
Dang that was quick. I know but it's a pain in the a$$ to buy a new car and have to take it in for problems. I had a 00 Celica GT-S and after about 11k miles it had to go in for tranny work, the syncros were grinding. I would just like to get something that is fast and reliable for once

Old 06-04-2002, 07:50 AM
Thumbs up

Reliable? 28,900 miles in 13 months, 5 dyno pulls, and many 1/4 mile passes(see sig.) with no visits to a dealer.........yea, I say so .

Dan

Old 06-04-2002, 08:05 AM
Yeah thats cool. The only thing is I have bad luck with cars I am seriously going to look into them more. I have never driven or rode in a Lightning before I bet the torque nails you to the seat. It will be kinda weird too, im used to my Turbo lag so it's easy to anticipate the boost but with supercharger the power will be right there. What mods are the best to start with besides and exhaust and intake? Im not new to performance on cars but I am new to the truck scene (well performance wise) I see a lot of you guys with the basic bolt ons and some chips, what does that stuff cost? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-04-2002, 01:59 PM
if i were u

if i were u i'd go buy a true blue lightning (u can't get that color next year appparently, plus it looks sweet)

But get a proper TC, shift kit, intake and chip and you gonna have "another 12 sec car" this thing is basically as fast as that stang with a couple of boltons. Plus these things are reliable as hell. Look at the post about milage on the first page. When you start playing with boot you can have a chance to have things break. But you don't really need to. A daily driver mid 12 sec pickup truck is fun enuf. There is no more risk of things going wrong than with any car you modding.

Ray

Old 06-05-2002, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming. Yeah I probably wont mess with the boost, like you said a 12 second truck should be fun enuf Whats the best lowering kit for them?

Quick Reply: Newbie..To buy or not to buy???