Lightning

Ford needs to get with the program

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ford needs to get with the program

I have had an on going miss and a low idle. Yesterday went out to start the truck, truck starts fine but I have no oil presure. After about 2 min I get a reading but the truck is making a thud sound. Take it to the dealer, about a hour later they call me and say we just ordered you a new engine WTF. Blew a rod I only have 4200 miles on my 2001 lightning. I will let everyone know how it all truns out.

Old 05-03-2002, 10:03 AM
What mods do you have???

Old 05-03-2002, 10:22 AM
Re: Ford needs to get with the program

Originally posted by 415cid Goose
Take it to the dealer, about a hour later they call me and say we just ordered you a new engine
I'd say that is great service and it would appear that "Ford is getting with the program."
-------------
Rick

Old 05-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by CHIKIN1
What mods do you have???
Here they are:

Old 05-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Wink

thats not all Ford is getting

Old 05-03-2002, 10:41 AM
LOL!!! You're too funny!!!

Your engine throws a rod...... You get a new engine...... Ford sucks???

How often do you hear about this happening to a Lightning??? Sounds to me as though something may have happened to your particular engine while it was being built or maybe you received a faulty oil pump.

I have '97 with a leaking 4.2L and you have a 2001 Lightning that's getting new engine and you're complaining

I don't think that engines should fail so soon so I can empathize but it sounds like it's little more than an inconvenience.

Old 05-03-2002, 10:44 AM
damn another broken rod....Were there any signs of detonation or anything? Have you looked at the plugs?

Old 05-03-2002, 10:59 AM
Re: LOL!!! You're too funny!!!

Originally posted by AjRagno
[B]Your engine throws a rod...... You get a new engine...... Ford sucks???

How often do you hear about this happening to a Lightning??? Sounds to me as though something may have happened to your particular engine while it was being built or maybe you received a faulty oil pump.

I have '97 with a leaking 4.2L and you have a 2001 Lightning that's getting new engine and you're complaining
I'm not complaining just venting. It just scares me that they would build an engine that can't handle the power.

Old 05-03-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by qball2439
damn another broken rod....Were there any signs of detonation or anything? Have you looked at the plugs?
They were no signs. Pulled a few plugs and they looked great. No signs of anything.

Old 05-03-2002, 11:07 AM
hmmm

that 5 lb pulley may have something to do with it guy. I'm assuming that JL knew that you had a 5lb pulley and tuned the chip accordingly. If the rod broke .....that could have caused the oil pump to fail. OR.......the oil pump could have failed and then the rod broke. Look at the bright side......you have a new motor. They could have pulled the old void your warrenty routine.

If your running a 5lb pulley, you really should be upgrading your internals. I have a fealling you'll be posting another post like this.

I would have to say our main complaint to the folks at svt is why aren't they using a stronger rod with a blown motor with such a long stroke? Yes they aren't designed for more than what they were produced with, but do they really expect people to pay over 30k for a performance truck and no one is gonna put their little pawns on it?

Old 05-03-2002, 11:24 AM
You need to get with the program.

You are DAMN lucky they are not voiding your warranty with all those mods!If you had a miss to start with,Your rod was probally what failed first.Couldnt be form a 5# pully huh? LOL

I Understand that 30k is alot of money but look at our competiotion...

Vette 50k
mercedes 70k
trans am 30k
camaro 30k
trucks NONE AT ANY PRICE
our trucks weigh twice what those do and cost less than most.How many blown engines on stock trucks? Not many unless intercooler problems.

We should be very thankful Ford does make the lightning,I dont see anybody elso doing it and if they do it will be after5 years of production and wont cost $30k I can gaurantee that!!!!!

You really think they suck when a rep comes down,Looks at your computer and tells you to **** in your hat and then youll see how lucky you WERE to get a new motor after 1.5 hours diagnostic!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-03-2002, 11:55 AM
I know I no longer own a Lightning, so you can tell me to go pound salt, but you know this is only the very beginning of a very long line of blown engines this summer. The stats are out there. I'm not sure what the cutoff point is for pulley sizes, but 5 or 6 lb pullies are just waiting to destroy engines, or transmissions if you are running stock internals. And no, it's not Ford's fault.

I bailed on my truck this spring because my tranny was starting to slip, and I was only running 3 #'s.

Hold on, I think it's going to get ugly. (Just my own very humble opinion!)

Old 05-03-2002, 12:03 PM
Re: Re: LOL!!! You're too funny!!!

Originally posted by 415cid Goose
...It just scares me that they would build an engine that can't handle the power.
It's not their responsibility to build an engine that can handle more power because we decide to mod it. Ford is not responsible for that, they don't sit down and say "Lets build a kick @ss truck, and make it strong enough so they can mod it and it will handle the power, to hell with the cost increase". They sit down and say things like "Lets build a kick @ss truck for cheap so we can get some good profits on it".

They are responsible for building it strong enough to not break in stock form, and so far I've only heard of 1 bone stock engine throwing a rod.

Your getting your engine replaced, be thrilled with that. If my engine goes I'm not even going to try and get a new one out of Ford. It's my fault as I knew what I was doing, but I'm still hoping and praying that it won't blow.

Old 05-03-2002, 12:04 PM
The motors are hand built so if soming big or little happens they will ussualy replace the motor my sister is on her 3rd motor in her SVT Contour

Old 05-03-2002, 12:56 PM
Re: Re: Re: LOL!!! You're too funny!!!

Originally posted by captainoblivious

It's not their responsibility to build an engine that can handle more power because we decide to mod it. Ford is not responsible for that, they don't sit down and say "Lets build a kick @ss truck, and make it strong enough so they can mod it and it will handle the power, to hell with the cost increase". They sit down and say things like "Lets build a kick @ss truck for cheap so we can get some good profits on it".

They are responsible for building it strong enough to not break in stock form, and so far I've only heard of 1 bone stock engine throwing a rod.

Your getting your engine replaced, be thrilled with that. If my engine goes I'm not even going to try and get a new one out of Ford. It's my fault as I knew what I was doing, but I'm still hoping and praying that it won't blow.
I am very thrilled with getting a new engine. Like I said before I'm just venting. I love my truck to death. Ford know's something is going on because they upgraded the rods in the new cobra.

Quick Reply: Ford needs to get with the program