Lightning

First time at the Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time at the Dyno

Hey guys, I took my truck to the dyno for the first time Saturday. The results were fairly impressive, but I was hoping to get a little higher numbers.
Peak horse power: 379.0 @ 4800 rpm
Peak torque: 487.1 @ 3250 rpm
My truck is a 2000 Lightning with the following modifications:
90mm MAF
Updated Intercooler
JL Dual Ram Air
4 lbs Lower Pulley
Diablo Chip

I did my pulls in fourth gear, which was a pain to do because the truck wanted to down shift the entire time. We got the truck up to around 60 mph and then rolled into it to WOT by 70 mph. I know that these engines get peak torque ~ 3000 rpm, but we could not get readings until after 3200 rpm. The torque line increases steadily from 1000 rpm to around 2500 rpm and then drops way down at 2900 rpm (obviously a flaw in the measurement), then it increases to the max at 3250 rpm.
I believe that the horsepower numbers are right on the money because I did 7 pulls and the numbers varied, at most, 5 hp, yet the torque numbers varied between 10 to 18 ft-lbs. The dyno operator said that I should be in the neighborhood of 500 ft-lbs of torque, yet we could not get the numbers because every graph had a local minima at 2900 rpm. Since this was my first time to ever be at a dyno, I did not have a clue on possible solutions to get a nice curve, so maybe someone can tell me what went wrong. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2002, 11:55 AM
You should have done these pulls with overdrive off and start @ 70mph....

Good #'s Though....

Old 03-26-2002, 12:55 PM
Whats up gibson. Those are pretty good numbers. my truck made 378 and 442, but they said there dyno was pretty conservative. MV said theres would read closer to 400. I am getting a pully this week as soon as I get my truck back. We will have to hit the Strip this weekend. Hope 2 run in the 12's now. Hey where did you get your truck dynoed?

Old 03-26-2002, 01:50 PM
What IC said.....about 3-3,100 rpms and even air pressure in the rear tires.

Dan

Old 03-26-2002, 03:10 PM
Thanks guys for the info, I will probably have it dynoed again soon, so now I have a clue about what I need to do.

What's up TJ? I had my truck dynoed at Engineered Performance in Smyrna. Speaking of 12's, I was almost there on street tires last Friday night, you can ask Jeremy about it when you see him. I might head down to Commerce this Friday night if I can get my hands on some drag slicks.

Old 03-26-2002, 03:34 PM
YEa Jeremy called and told me that you ran like a 13.2 or something. I was in Daytona chasing some tail. Wished I would of had my L down there I could of made some money. It is still in the shop, hope to have it back today or tommorow. I also just got off the phone with a buddy of mine and He is fixing to get me a 4psi lower pully. Should get it and have it on next week. Have to wait on a new program for my chip or we would put it on this week. As far as going in the 12's with slicks, you don't need them. A buddy of mine from up he has went 12.6 on street tires. Anyways give me a call if you go Friday and I will go to. then we can head to g-ville to wax some ricers.

Quick Reply: First time at the Dyno