Lightning

Bullitt fuel door

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bullitt fuel door

I recently received a brushed aluminum mustang bullitt fuel door and was wonder if anyone got any nuts to fit on the other side of the screws it comes with. The screws are too small for the OEM screw holes, but go through.
Obviously you have to install it upside down but how is it held into place?
How did you guys put it on? Any info appreciated..

Old 03-08-2002, 07:36 PM
4mm nuts and washers. You will also need about 1/8"+/- washer to properly space it out.

Old 03-08-2002, 07:44 PM
Its installed upside down from the Mustang mounting. It doesnt fit right without a few mods. You have to ditch the plastic clips on the rear edge, as they arent wide enough for the Lightning fuel opening.

On mine, I removed the upper long screw (upper as in where it mounts on the Lightning, forget that stang thing). I unscrewed the two plastic clip pieces, discarded the plastic (doesnt fit at all).

Then I ground down the boss on the back of the screw hole where I had removed that long bolt, to allow one of the short ones that used to hold the plastic clips to attach. (you need 4 nuts that fit the bolts, hardware store has em).

So, now you have one long bolt on the front side, and the other long bolt has been replaced with a short one with a washer and nut. At a diagonal on the rear edge of the door you are going to use that long bolt you removed. Hold the fuel door up to the truck with the one long bolt in the hole it lines up with, and center the door in the opening. Then drill through the empty hole where ya removed the short bolt/clip thingy. Thats where the other long bolt will go.

Shim the whole mess out with washers till it sits in there right, and attach with the two long bolts using washers/nuts on the back side. Simple... kinda.

Sounds convoluted, but it lets you install the thing with the hardware that comes with it, and looks like it came from the factory. Takes about 30 minutes and some hand tools (a bench grinder helps a lot too).

Old 03-08-2002, 08:50 PM
I did not have to remove the plastic clips on mine but I have read that some have had to do this.
Silver Bolt is right. I used two small lock washers on mine.

Website
PhotoGallery
Mods to date

Old 03-08-2002, 09:27 PM
I tried the clips all by themselves, just too narrow for the edge of the door area. You also need to shim both sides a bit to get an even fit.

heh, color me a perfectionist, but I wanted the thing centered and dead-nuts even in there.

Old 03-08-2002, 11:24 PM
The clips fit perfectly on my L (maybe the black color is thinner than the others LOL). I did have it powder coated black to blend better. I did sand down the outr ring with 2000 grit to give a satin look. Stands out a look better than all glossy. Does anyone have a supply for stainless bolts just like the stock ones? All I found had a very small head.

Old 03-09-2002, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, but still slightly confused on some issues, anyone have any pics?

Old 03-09-2002, 07:04 AM
Mine was a drop in fit. Just needed minor shimming to sit flush. No modification needed to the door or truck. 5min max install.

The screws are custom. Won't find anything off the shelf that looks close.

Old 03-09-2002, 12:33 PM
I think I used #8 stainless steel nuts and washers (for shims). I had to enlarge one of the factory holes in order to get the screws to match up.

Fits well, looks good... I'm still waiting for it to grow on me.

Old 03-09-2002, 04:42 PM
I'm still waiting for it to grow on me.
. . . and if it doesn't . . .

Old 03-09-2002, 07:33 PM
Does anyone have a website with pics or any links to another thread in relation to the bullitt fuel door? The search doesnt work.....very sad...

Quick Reply: Bullitt fuel door