Lightning

How hard to install hangers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard to install hangers?

Apparently no one sell a 3" rear shackle kit, so it looks like I'm gonna have use Hangers in order to get my rearend out of the stratosphere. So my question is, How difficult is it to install hangers? I know the actual install isn't hard...but what do I need to get the stock hangers OFF (specifically the Rivets punched out)? Is there trick? Maybe grind off the the head and use a hammer and punch perhaps? Is it as simple as that or am I missing something? Any tips would be appreciated.

Last edited by Ebbsnflows; 03-05-2002 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:50 PM
Posting Rights Suspended
You can torch the pass. side out easily. The driver's side requires some experience. You'll be there quite a while with an air hammer. It's right against the fuel tank.

If you choose to go that route, cut an X in the rivets and have fun.

Install is a breeze. Don't forget the pinion shim...

Old 03-05-2002, 02:11 PM
If you have a air chisel & air hammer its a breeze. Forget just a hammer it will take forever. If you lower this way, I will second the. "Don't forget the pinion shim..."

SHHH- But if you want to wait alittle longer I know a Tuner is coming out with 3in shackels soon......

Old 03-05-2002, 02:18 PM
Ebbsnflows

I've installed hangers on a 99' chevy and on my new 01' f150. The way i did it was: 1) grind off the head of the rivits 2) knock the hangers lose from the frame 3) grind down the rest of the rivits to the frame 4) use an air hammer of some sort to knock the rivits out of the frame

.....then just install the new hangers. The only tools I used was a small grinder, air chissel, a punch, and a hammer. Be prepared to spend a few hours on it though if you are doing it pretty much by yourself. Not too hard of a job but it takes time. Hope this helps.

justin

Old 03-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by ICULOKN

SHHH- But if you want to wait alittle longer I know a Tuner is coming out with 3in shackels soon......
Can you drop me an email and give me a hint on who this is (I won't tell anyone )? I don't mind waiting a month or so if this true.

BTW...what is a pinion shim? I'm still pretty new to the whole truck/leaf spring suspensions.

Old 03-05-2002, 03:44 PM
I read in a magazine about installs on a F150 once, they cut off the heads of the rivets, then removed the hanger. Used a Air hammer to knock the rivets out, and the stubborn ones they drilled out.

Once the old hangers and rivets are out the hangers should be a piece of cake.

Old 03-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by ICULOKN
"Don't forget the pinion shim..."

Richard,

If I use a Bell Tech 3/4 kit, will I need to shim the pinion?

Old 03-05-2002, 04:41 PM
Posting Rights Suspended
With a 3" to 4" drop, you'll want to correct the geometry with the pinion shim. This is done to reduce any vibrations that the drop may have caused.

For those that don't know, it's just a steel shim that you install by loosening the nuts that hold the leafsprings firm against the axle.

Old 03-05-2002, 04:58 PM
Rich,

There has to be different angle shims. What angle shim is needed for the 3/4 drop and where can I get them, if you know?

Thanks,

Tim

Old 03-05-2002, 05:12 PM
Posting Rights Suspended
I don't have those specs., but the BellTech 3/4 kit comes with a set of required shims.

Old 03-05-2002, 05:30 PM
Oh, I see. Thanks

Old 03-06-2002, 04:54 AM
Re: Ebbsnflows

Originally posted by just_right
I've installed hangers on a 99' chevy and on my new 01' f150. The way i did it was: 1) grind off the head of the rivits 2) knock the hangers lose from the frame 3) grind down the rest of the rivits to the frame 4) use an air hammer of some sort to knock the rivits out of the frame

.....then just install the new hangers. The only tools I used was a small grinder, air chissel, a punch, and a hammer. Be prepared to spend a few hours on it though if you are doing it pretty much by yourself. Not too hard of a job but it takes time. Hope this helps.

justin
That's how I did it!!!!! I've done it on several F-150s.

Quick Reply: How hard to install hangers?