Lightning

HELP! Tonneau Cover Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Tonneau Cover Question

Tonneau < -- spelling? don't know
Anywho- I've never had to remove my tonneau cover before - it's the Ford brand (the only option that is available)

Anyone know how to remove the thing???

I noticed that their are some spring loaded latches underneath, but they don't seem to butch too much... afraid I'm going to break something
Please HELP

Thanks everyone
John

Old 03-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Those are fixed brackets.Back out the bolts with an allen wrench and the brackets and rails will come right off.

Last edited by NozeBleedSpeed; 03-04-2002 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:38 PM
Did you get it off?

Old 03-04-2002, 11:58 PM
YES!! - Thanks so much. I'm moving; just a few miles down the road to my house (i'm happy to say i'm a first time home owner!). I needed the bed space <-- as much as I hate to use the L for hauling. Luckily, it was only boxes; so no scratches.

I didn't realize once the 'tension bars' <-- (if that is what you wanna call them); were released all you had to do was 'peel off' the tonneau! Duh! I feel dumb.

Again- THANKS SO MUCH. I was VERY afraid of breaking something. The cover rolls up nice and neat - very cool design.

Take Care,

John
Silver 01 (a.k.a. "PWR_WHLS" )

Old 03-05-2002, 09:14 AM
PWR_WHLS, if you're talking about removing the Tonneau Cover, then lower the tail gate, attached to the Cover you'll see a nylon fabric loop attached to the cover. Pull back hard on these, one at a time, to pull the plastic lip out of the rail groove. Once the rear has been released, the sides will come out of their grooves easily. Roll up the tonneau as best you can and use the nylon straps at the front of the bed to secure the tonneau. The two support bars are spring loaded into grooves in the side rails. Simply push these to release. The rear rail has the spring loaded latches which you know about, release them and pull the rear rail back to release. Unless you are hauling something that won't fit in the bed with the side rails in place, there is no need to remove them.

Quick Reply: HELP! Tonneau Cover Question