Lightning

93 Running rough/very sluggish after getting hot (S/C)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 Running rough/very sluggish after getting hot (S/C)

I’m a newbie here, this problem is driving me insane. Can’t drive it to a shop, and don’t trust mobile mech. I’m in the (Palmetto Bay/Miami Area)

93 Lightning with vortech S-trim blower/supercharger. Truck sat for a very long time (New Tires had bad flat spots). I got it started and ran great with new fuel. Decided to add the blower. Also ran great afterwards, didn’t get it over 3k without getting the fuel/air ratio correct. Drove it from my house on the way to a buddies house about 5 miles. She got super hot halfway. Started to loose power so I stopped and waited until she cooled off. About an hour. Started her up and went back home.

Water pump took a dump, got it replaced and started her up. NO POWER VERY SLUGGISH SMALL MISS. Changed one by one: msd cap and rotor, msd wires, MSD Coil. Reman new distributor, autolight plugs. New 190 fuel pump in rear tank.Even changed the coolant temp sensor. NOTHING??? She starts right up idles and revs pretty quickly to about 3k rpm then cuts off and on like it’s hitting a rev limiter. I put her in drive and hit the accelerator to the floor and feels like I’m hauling 20k pounds, super sluggish and starts to miss and pop.

Mind you, she ran great before she got hot. Checked compression and all within spec around 130/140 can’t really remember now. No oil in the water and no water in the oil. I’m clue less at this point. I’ve asked a bunch of people and come to narrowing it down to possibly a stretched timing chain? But wouldn’t it run super rough on idle? She idles pretty good and accelerates great until about 3k rpm then starts that bucking thing, missing and popping.

I just noticed today after I left it idling for about 30min-went to accelerate and it was super slow to climb rpms opposed to when it was cold. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Last edited by Oidale; 05-03-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 93 Running rough/very sluggish after getting hot (S/C)