Lightning

Pro-Blend 40 below coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro-Blend 40 below coolant

Wandering aimlessly around our local speed shop today searching for a throttle stop to keep me from putting my foot in it so much...LOL ( Had my L for 3 days, it's addictive) Actually I saw a product made by Pro Blend called- 40 below- which is supposed to be mixed in with anti-freeze and distilled water, they claim a 40 degree drop in temp. and I was curious if anyone on the board has tried it and what the results were

Old 08-21-2001, 03:06 PM
I've used Redline Water Wetter for years. It works pretty well when mixed with pure water. When mixed with 50/50, it doesn't seem to work nearly as well.

I made an interesting observation the other day, when I was driving around with My computer scanner hooked up. It was about 85 degrees out, and I noticed that the temp reading coming from the PCM only varied a few degrees. It would run from 189 to 193 all the time.

The thermostat is 190 degrees, and it appears that the cooling system is very efficient. Even with water wetter or Pro blend, the thermostat will keep the temp up at 190.

Old 08-22-2001, 02:11 AM
Jay
I was thinking along the lines of how much "heat-soak" it would prevent..Being involved in the Motorcycle road race industry we use a product called Engine ice, although water temp change is minor we notice an average engine case temp drop of up to 12 degrees using a Raytek infrared thermometer..Maybe I'll put it in my L and test the temp differences

Old 08-22-2001, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Jay Lincoln
I've used Redline Water Wetter for years. It works pretty well when mixed with pure water. When mixed with 50/50, it doesn't seem to work nearly as well.

On that, you still would want to mix 10-15% glycol in automotive applications that use A/C (to prevent freeze on cool air recirculaton thru heater core), lubrication for water pump seal, and just in case it gets a little nippy out because Water Wetter mixed with water is not a good anti-freeze!

Motorcycles - I would say that you would still want to mix 10 - 15 % glycol into the mix for the same reasons above less the A/C (unless you own a GoldWing )

Old 08-22-2001, 02:40 PM
Here in North Orange County, we see frost maybe 5 times a year, so a 10-15% mix would probably work well.

I have a 66 Shelby Cobra Replica that gets water and water wetter only. I haven't had a problem with it yet.

I am going to change over to aluminum heads and radiator, so corrosion will be come a concern. I don't know if a 10-15% mix will be enough?

Old 08-22-2001, 02:48 PM
Water Wetter is a excellent corrosion inhibitor. Don't forget to pick up some distilled water( sodium free), it's cheap and best for your metals.

Quick Reply: Pro-Blend 40 below coolant