Lightning

Who's installed a 5" TACH?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who's installed a 5" TACH?

Who's installed a 5" tachometer? Where did you mount it? Was it hard to hook up?
noelvm

------------------

"ANYTHING OTHER THAN 1ST, SUCKS" (D.Earnhardt)
99.5 Red Ligntning, Mobil 1, PRO-M 80 MM MAF/filter, Custom Superchip, Eldebrock 5512 muffler, CAL TRACS, MT ET Streets, best time (1/8) 8.19, Bugflector II, G&H Lens covers head & fog, 200 WT Pioneer 4 CH AMP, BOSE 301 SERIES IV SPEAKERS (IN BACK)LONESTAR RACEWAY 2000 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (AT 56)
70 Vette LS-6 454 (gathering dust in the garage)

Old 04-14-2001, 11:40 PM
What would you use it for? Are you adding a manual 5-speed? Our automatics never shifts predictably in manual mode. Maybe you need an 8” coffee can muffler too .

Seriously, don’t take this wrong! You are the MAN when it comes to bracket racing. I just can’t see the value of adding something else to the dash.

Old 04-14-2001, 11:58 PM
Talking

Actually, my concern is launch RPM. There are not marking on our tach between 1000 and 1500 and different lauch rpms are producing different 60' times which is not good for bracket racing. I want something I can easily and quickly see to set my launch rpm before looking back at the tree. I am also looking at a digital tach; although I am not sure how easy it is to use in reality.
Today I had been averaging 1.96-1.97 60' times on on my last run (not my choice) I broke out and the difference was a .03 better 60' which I believe was caused by a different launch RPM.
noelvm

Old 04-15-2001, 01:14 AM
hi,

i had installed one early last may, i had placed it along the right hand side of the dashboard near the air vent..however i could never get it to work..i tried the #1 plug, tried the tach leads through the dash...a summit rep recommended the distributor lead or the pcm, but i didnt want to bother...it for me had no real value...other than looking cool..

Old 04-15-2001, 01:19 AM
Since you are looking for a launch aid, maybe a series of lights (green, yellow, red) each separated by 100RPM. You could adjust your target RPM before the run. For instance, let the target RPM be yellow. You would add throttle to get the green and then yellow. If you see red, then you went too far. Just an idea, don't know how to implement, but it would be better than watching a tach (maybe). In all kinds of sports car racing they use this technology as shift lights.

Old 04-15-2001, 01:32 AM
Installing a tach is a piece of cake. Four, maybe five wires is all the wiring and you can put them almost anywhere. As for your launch rpm how about a tach with a shift light? Set the light at the launch RMP you are looking for and just look for the light instead of trying to read a number. You might even be able to set up a chain of three and use them that way. Never seen three set up before but I have seen two lights on a tach before. Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2001, 03:20 AM
Smile

Noelvm,

Why not just put the tach display up digitally on your current dash? Use the odometer test more.

Hold the trip button down while turning the truck on, then just flick through (pushing the trip button) until you get to RPM on the display. It'll stay until you turn off the car again, and its digital.

Dan

Old 04-15-2001, 03:38 PM
Thumbs up

Nolevm,
I also wanted the 5" tach hook up for the same reasond about 8 months ago. After purchasing a 5" tach from Ford Racing and following their directions: ie. hook to dist. wire? or PCM tach lead- I coudn't get a signal to the tach. I contacted: MSD, Autometer, Sun Wells, EVERY manufacture of tachs and ignitions out there. EVERYONE said that I needed a Tach Signal Amplifier, DUH!!! (Every MSD ignition system including the 2-4 coil cobras have one)(but NOTHING for our Coil on Plug setups).
Of course NO ONE knew of any one that made one!!! Autometer and MSD said they MAY have one in the works SOMEDAY-Yeh. Right. I just keep checking back with them from time to time but NO LUCK to date.
Even the MSD STACKER 8 has NO TACH LEAD!!

Dan

------------------
PSP TOTALLY MODIFIED
Best ET 12.57
Best MPH 107.89
Best 60 ft 1.72
So-Far!!
Man, I LOVE These PSP PRODUCTS!!!
(Thanks Sal!!!!)

Old 04-15-2001, 04:11 PM
Talking

Yea, I'm looking at tachs and they say they all work on any engine, yea right. The odometer readout is too small. Remember when both guys tree both lites you only have about 10-15 seconds to stabilize your launch rpm and get your eyes back to the tree.

Seems to me the ideal system would be to remove the brake cutoff wire to the cruse control. Then you could set your cruse control for you launch rpm. Pull to the line stage the lights, push the resume buttom and your rpm would come up automaticlly. Probably illegal in no electronics, but it would be one less thing to worry about.

Intellitronix has a 3 3/8 digital tach that looks like it would be easy to read. I wonder if it would hook up. I sent them an email.

noelvm

[This message has been edited by noelvm (edited 04-15-2001).]

Old 04-15-2001, 05:22 PM
Wink

Noelvm

You will have to make serious changes to the cruise to set that up. Cruise wont engage unless you have 30mph or so indicated. It is Ddesigned to match speed not rpm.

I cant believe that the circuitry would be that easy to defeat since the brake cutoff and the 30mph engage are both done for safety.

Doug

[This message has been edited by Silver_2000_! (edited 04-15-2001).]

Old 08-03-2001, 01:39 AM
Re: Who's installed a 5" TACH?

Originally posted by noelvm
Who's installed a 5" tachometer? Where did you mount it? Was it hard to hook up?

i THINK a search might help.

how about you?

Old 08-03-2001, 01:54 AM
Cool

Now you done it Noel...you've pissed off the newbies...

Old 08-03-2001, 01:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DreaminAboutL
Now you done it Noel...you've pissed off the newbies...
That's right! Furthermore, she's posting the same response to every topic.

spike

(no offense to the real fems on the board)

Old 08-03-2001, 02:07 AM
Thumbs up

Actually, they're 6 months old topics... Imagine SEARCHING thru Noel's 1770 posts to find these... WELL DONE!! Newbie: You are now a Search-God

Quick Reply: Who's installed a 5" TACH?