Lightning

Fine tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2001, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fine tuning

I need some help from those who are more mechanically inclined than myself (read: everyone).
I have read on this forum about a lot about the variances in stock Lightnings. For the 99-00 Ford claims 360HP but from what I have seen you guys talk about that is rarely realized.
My question is, can this be remedied without aftermarket parts? Or are these variances caused by flaws in fabrication?
What I am getting at here (man this is difficult when you don’t know what you are talking about )is, what are things you can do to squeeze a little more juice from a stock Lightning.... does it all involve calibrating the computer module or are there mechanical changes that can be made? What are some things to look for? I haven’t dynoed yet so I don’t know what I am getting but I really want to learn more about the mechanics of automobiles (I am hoping to experiment first on my wife’s Explorer )
I come from a computer world where I know practically every trick in the book to optimize and milk more juice from a PC but I don’t know squat about this subject.

Old 04-13-2001, 04:19 PM
Posting Rights Suspended
First: The 360HP is not Rear Wheel Horsepower. It's HP at the flywheel and seems to always be realized.

Second: Yes, a chip is certainly needed for additional gains. Best mod. you can do.

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. 100HP Shot NOS, BellTech 3/4 drop, Ford MotorSport Chrome Lightning wheels, Super Chip(TRAC). K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, Sir Michael's roll pan, smooth corners and steps w/billet inserts, clear corner lenses, Cervinis Ram Air hood, ARE Cover w/ wing, Momo billet pedals, cd changer, cover, Phantom boost and nitrous gauges, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX Thunder 4000 subs. 5-channel 500w. Clarion amp.(APA5241), (4)Polk Audio 3-way, 130w. DX 7's, Color-matched Muth signal mirrors, Soundproofed cab, BedRug, Trenz billet grills, Piaa 9007 Super Whites, etc. Build #2755
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/tampasvt/

2001 Lexus IS-300
2001 EB Expedition

Old 04-13-2001, 08:48 PM
Cool

What Tampa said. The factory figures are based on readings from an engine dynomometer, sans accessories and drive train, and as such seem to be very conservative. Most of the people on this board who put their stock L's on a chassis dynomometer got around 320 h.p. at the rear wheels (some higher, some lower, but I'd say this was average), which equates to much higher than 360 h.p. at the crankshaft. You don't need to do anything to realize the factory figure. However, there are two things you can do relatively cheaply to "juice up" your truck. Allow it to inhale more air by swapping the factory air box for a good aftermarket system, and installing a good chip. Its called the chip 'n filter blue plate special, and can easily add 40 or more h.p. to your truck. After that the mods get more expensive, especially in proportion to the gain. And withing the past couple of days there has been a discussion on this board about possible transmission damage from altering the factory shift parameters with a chip. And some of the things that people are doing to their trucks such as changing blower pulleys I would definitely stay away from. As someone else on this board just said, "You mod it, you break it, you pay". Amen.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.

'00 SVT Lightning, silver, built 2/9/00, #133 of 4966, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, 4.10 gears, Swanson chip, Pro-M, NGK plugs, carbon drive shaft, Roadmaster suspension kit, TransGo shift kit,
13.39 @ 102.5

2001 Kevlacat 2400, twin 115 Evinrude FICHT, Raytheon VHF, radar, autopilot and GPS chartplotter/fishfinder.
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=429389...4647875&idx=15

gmvye@pacbell.net

Old 04-13-2001, 08:58 PM
Location: Overland Park, Kansas (Kansas City) - Soon to be Ft. Worth, TX
My humble suggestions: get a chip and air filter induction. those two combined would be $500, and pump out 40 hp (?) at the rear wheels, or so someone told me.

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning
#2798 of 4966
Born on date: May 9, 2000
Email: ColinMBurns@hotmail.com

Mods: SnugLid, 20% tint

Old 04-13-2001, 09:15 PM
40 HP?

I have a custom chip w/air filter made for my L when it was stock and it only makes 25 RWHP.

I've only read and talked to 5 other tuners and they all come up with 22-27 RWHP. You can only take A/F and timming so far.

Old 04-13-2001, 10:16 PM
If you want to drive your truck all the time then you have to realize that there is a limit on the power the drivetrain can handle when you beat on it, as most L owners do now and then. I have experienced the transmission failure most likely due to too much power after such a long time. My trucks got 30K on it and this is the first time I've had the trans break down on me. From what people have told me the trans just can not handle so much power on the shifts. during the driving it can handle it, but thats common with most vehicles. I think I have alomst hit my limit with my truck. Maybe a few trans mods now, but enough is enough for the street. Just my 2 cents.

------------------

Built 5/4/99
# 917 of 4000
P.S. I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2001, 01:07 PM
Talking

I really appreciate all of the comments guys, thanks. I am planning to put together somewhat of an idiots guide website for modding these things, since I am a mechanical idiot it will be a marrige made in heaven I will be featuring all of the changes I make both in performance and appearance. I hope to document step-by-step what I did, what I broke , what I think...
The chip/filter combo was already on my todo list, I was just trying to figure out if there are things you can do mechanically to a stock Lightning to eek out anything more. The reason I bring this subject up is because I remember reading a post about the throttle body only opening to 90% and adjustments to the calibration or something to the blower (bear with me since I really dont know what I am talking about )

Quick Reply: Fine tuning