Lightning

Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 09:48 PM
Suspended For Rules Violations
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Wow!

Let me first thank Tundra for the inspiration...today I had straight pipes put on, and OMG!! Loud as hell.... Can't tell if there were gains or loses by seat O' pants, but I will head to the track and check. I've had SOOO many more compliments now that the trucks sounds like a screaming bat out of hell when I punch it. And the Drop to 1st is amazingly awesome.

------------------
-Marcus M.
Email-SnakEyez60@aol.com
Black 2001 recieved 2/10/01. Pictures coming soon.
Moderator:BLackBoLT01 www.svtperformance.com

Old 04-10-2001, 10:06 PM
I went with straight pipes on mine too. Went straight to the local muffler shop when I picked up the L. The muffler just unbolts, so you can save it and then reuse the tips. I've heard older trucks without cats that are louder, but this is a real nice sound. Right after I put the straight pipes on, I thought about putting on a set of shorty glasspacks, cause I thought it was Too loud. But after I drove it for a week,it does'nt seem as loud, and I kept the straight pipes. I don't think it changes performance because the original muuffler(and cats)are designed to be pretty free flowing.

------------------
01L,Lowered, Black,Downey SST,Straight Pipes,Chipped,Wet Okole Covers........ Toy: 91 Heritage Softtail Classic/Lowered

Old 04-10-2001, 10:48 PM
Any of you guys got a pic of those pipes? I would love to see one.

------------------
01,Black,Lightning
K@N air filter
Super flip Chip

Old 04-10-2001, 11:22 PM
Tell ya the truth,my truck felt a tad slower but it REALLY ran 1.5-2 tenths faster. I have run my truck all last year and I know It REALLY did improve 1.5-2.0 tenths.

Old 04-11-2001, 01:02 AM
Exclamation

I am debating between straight pipes and a Magnaflow 14568. I am afraid the straight pipes will be too loud. I don't want to attract the wrong kind of attention. ie Johnny Law

------------------
GalaxyEng
2000 RED #2926
13.5@101
BedRug
Haig custom mats
PSP Filter

Old 04-11-2001, 02:16 AM
A couple points... First, if it feels slower but is actually faster, it seems to me that your torque curve got flattened out a bit. That's a good thing, since it seems to have flattened out on the up side! Second, I too am debating the straight pipes thing. I have aftermarket pipes on my v-twin sportbike and LOVE the sound. However, it does make me paranoid about getting on the throttle around town. I appreciate the fact that I can stomp on the L's accelerator and not attract negative attention. But man, I think about how I still get all warm and fuzzy when firing up my bike, three years after getting the exhaust done!

It seems to boil down to prudence vs. passion. Argh. I hate decisions.

-Ollie

[This message has been edited by felonious (edited 04-11-2001).]

Old 04-11-2001, 02:31 AM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Man, I have tried to show many the light. Finally I have a clan that I can call my disciples.

Who wants pics of Tundra© Straight Pipes™?

Installed at my last shop, Shade Tree wrench turners.

The muffler shops didn't want anything to do with my truck. They said something about cats and $50k fine. I tried explaining it to them that all I wanted removed was the muffler.

Went from 13.89 to 13.603. Net gain after 60' 2.19 I think.

------------------
99 Black Lightning! Kills! kills2! spring01kills last few ???
factory tonneau cover, 100k mile warrantee, Line-Xed

2.145 60' 8.789@82.71 (1/8) 13.603@101.05 1/4 track straight pipes, 'Major' rear lights, no chip

Old 04-11-2001, 02:33 AM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Just re-read my post, but my friends think the Law looks the other way when it come to trucks up here. I have caught a light in the heat of the summer (75*!) and low and behold, a citizen sworn to protect and serve was sitting there to my passenger side. Both windows down. Light went green, and we both went on our marry ways. I was really light on the throttle, I must add.

------------------
99 Black Lightning! Kills! kills2! <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/lt5c5/main.html" TARGET=_blank>spring01kills </A> last few ???
factory tonneau cover, 100k mile warrantee, Line-Xed

2.145 60' 8.789@82.71 (1/8) 13.603@101.05 1/4 track straight pipes, 'Major' rear lights, no chip

[This message has been edited by Tundra (edited 04-11-2001).]

Old 04-11-2001, 08:38 AM
The straight pipes seem loud at first, compared to the stock exhaust, but after driving awhile,they just don't seem to be exessively loud. I live in truck country, and I've heard a lot of trucks that are equally loud or louder. When just cruisin',the noise level is quite acceptible, and when you punch it, it's not all that bad. Plus I just like the rumble. It "is" a truck afterall. Besides you can always go back and add a couple of shorty mufflers if you want to tone it down. Cost me $150.00 to put the straight pipes on, the price is right compared to what I've seen quoted for some of these fancy systems.

------------------
01L,Lowered, Black,Downey SST,Straight Pipes,Chipped,Wet Okole Covers........ Toy: 91 Heritage Softtail Classic/Lowered

Old 04-11-2001, 10:27 AM
Question

I too have been debating doing this mod. However, I was thinking instead of just doing straight pipes, maybe removing the muffler and replacing it with an X or H pipe. Anyone know if this would be benificial at all, or just a waste of money and time?

Old 04-11-2001, 11:52 AM
I installed a fabricated x pipe (2 pipes that are bent and welded in the center with a cutout for flow) that was made for a fellow L owner that found it too loud for towing his race mustang. If you do a search on this you will find more info including the fact of me considering a muffler in its place. I just can't find it in myself to take away the great sound. I have had many compliments and will probably leave it as is. As it goes, the stock muffler can be bolted right back, which it hasn't for over one and a half years. As for performance, we (guy with the race mustang) ran the trucks after the install, his stock and mine with the x pipe, and mine would edge his out by about 1 length up to 80. Not sure if it was due to the exhaust or the actual differences in the trucks from the factory. Total cost was $75.00 and can be put back to stock in less than 1 hour. Stock tips were kept.

Quick Reply: Wow!