Lightning

update on the shaking..still need some imput

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation update on the shaking..still need some imput

so i went to the tranny shop and the guy said it sounded like it was misfiring. well if it was a misfire the computer would state that...the only thing that came up was i needed a new thermostat that i was runnin hot all the time. one of the guys who worked there use to work on ford and i told him what was goin on...he told me i needed to have the tranny reverse flushed...i've never heard of that he said it should be done every 50,000 miles or so. on the first post about it someone mentioned the torque converter crappin out. i called the shop back and talked to the guy he didnt say if he thought that was it or not. but he would do the flush for around 100.....i really need some experienced input on this..never had a vehicle this nice. and i dont wanna ruin it b4 its time. but i cant afford a complete overhall this soon. so who should i believe...the computer and the autozone guy...or the tranny guy?

Old 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
What exactly are the symptoms?

Old 11-01-2007, 12:39 PM
well i took it to another tranny shop and the second opinion is that its missfiring soo..talk to a mechanic and he said dealerships like to wash the engines and the water gets down in the coil and on the boot causing miss fire. so i goin to change the plugs and check the coilsand boots. i ust posted a question about type of spark plugs so if you read this could you read that and let me know what you think

Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
DO NOT HAVE THE TRANS 'FLUSHED', it will cause more problems than it will fix.

As fas as a misfire, the computer will not always pick it up, if the crank is with in IRC +/-5 degrees of roation. Check you coils, the most likelly ones are the ones under cowl. I had one get water logged and it would run horrible and have a stumble but it would happen sporadically and only when hot, and not at any specific speed. The plug bore was completely filled with water, never threw a SES/CES/MIL code.

If it happens at 40-45MPH specifically I would still suspect it to be trans related, as that is when the TC clutch locks up in OD.

If your stock use the motorcraft plugs, if your modified use the NGK TR6 gapped at .033-.036 depending on the boost level you are running (do a search for spark plug gap chart, it is good info).

Good luck getting it fixed, keep us updated

Old 11-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt
What exactly are the symptoms?
From his other post:
so after i fixed the battery problem and drove it to work all was good....on the way home once i hit 45 the truck started shaking violently. i thought maybe fuel filter clogged? but it doesnt do it til it shift into 4th....think maybe my overdrive gear is bad? i really hope not. any thoughts?

Old 11-02-2007, 01:14 PM
well as for right now i got to tranny guys sayin misfire and one mechanic sayin misfire...he said the dealer prob washed the engine..water in the the coil or on the boot so i'm gonna sell my nissan 240sx and take the TB off and clean it, the supercharger off and clean it, intercooler out and clean it..pull all the coils see how they look replace if needed and all new spark plugs all the way around. if that fixes it the new fluids and filters all the way around. the more i listen to the truck and get use to the sounds and everything i can tell its something to do with a misfire i can hear it in idle and slightly feel it all the way up to 45 once i hit 60 it starts to go away but still feel it.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:39 PM
Torque Converter

I'm new here but my 97 F150 would shake like it was running over a wash board. Had transmission fluid changed. Was told to make sure and drain Torque Converter (Whatever that is). I brought to transmission shop and they did it and it's worked great for 40K miles. Had about 60K on it at the time.

Quick Reply: update on the shaking..still need some imput