Lightning

Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Box

Hi,
I had my stock 99 L with 70K on the clock go through a road inspection here in the UK on the weekend and was advised I have some 'slack' in the steering box, (Guess thats why the steering is a bit vague), I have not look at this in any detail. From my experience of past vehicles, steering boxes have a degree of adjustment for wear.

The wear is not really noticable, probably 1 to 2mm 'slackness' with the road tyres on the ground -

Can anyone advise is this a common issue and if there is way to adjust it - or if the box shot?

Old 10-23-2007, 06:25 AM
Dont know for sure about our steering box, but I have adjusted them in the past on other vehicles. It was your typical set screw and lock nut set up.
Of what I remember you get both front tires up off the ground and then check the play in the steering wheel (or course be sure the play isnt coming from else where), then you loosing the outer nut while holding the inner adjuster screw, then you turn the inner adjusting shaft "in". I belive the rule of thumb is NEVER turn the adjuster screw in more than 1 full turn.
Just remember although this may be help usually it means something inside is worn.

Hey wait I just found this (not our yr's but I'm sure it's the same)

Ford F-150 Steering Box Adjustment

Q. Hello, I have a 1993 Ford F-150. It has developed a front end problem. It is all over the road when driving. I have a feeling the steering box is in need of adjustment. Can you please let me know how this is done? The steering box has a screw with a lock nut holding tight. I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Michael

A. To check how much adjustment is needed turn the steering wheel to one side just until the front wheels just start to turn. Then turn it in the opposite direction until the wheels just start to turn the opposite direction. By seeing how much the steering wheel turns before effecting the front wheels will give you an idea how far out of adjustment the steering gear is.

If the wheel turns more than one inch, the steering gear needs to be adjusted.

To adjust the steering gear, hold the adjusting screw and loosen the lock nut just enough to turn the screw. Turn the adjusting screw IN a ¼ turn and tighten the lock nut.

Drive the vehicle about a mile making various left and right turns and check it again. If it needs more adjustment, do it a ¼ turn at a time and driving it until you get about 1" to 1½" free play in the steering wheel.

Naturally before you attempt any kind of adjustments, you should have the steering linkage checked to insure everything is good. Worn out tie rod ends and idler arm will cause the same symptoms.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Lightnings come from the factory with sloppy steering. There is an adjustment screw on the steering box but from what I've heard it's pretty tempermental. If you start tinkering with it just be careful.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:25 PM
just tell them it is an american car and it is normal!

Old 10-24-2007, 04:54 AM
Originally Posted by halflife
just tell them it is an american car and it is normal!

Best Quote Ever!!

I will be be careful with the adjustment.....

Old 10-25-2007, 01:24 AM
I have 152000 on my 01 and have yet to have a problem with the steering, works fine for me. Have yet to change the steering fluid and can not recall adding any. I may add rack and pinio this winter with some suspension work. Not the truck needs it.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:53 PM
If you get stuck

Give me a shout.

Just off the M3 at junc 3

Quick Reply: Steering Box