Lightning

Boost limit of stock engine and blower?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost limit of stock engine and blower?

Just picked up a 2000 L a few weeks ago, mint condition with 22,000 miles on it. Already added a Bassani Catback, and a K&N Drop In, did the boost valve mod, and added Water Wetter to the intercooler. I already ordered a Valvebody, a Tuner, Electric Fan, and a 3 LB Upper Pulley. I will probably do a throttle body and upper intake when i have the cash. I'm sure though that all these mods will only keep me happy for a short time (i previously had a pretty quick mustang). If i were to install a 4LB lower pulley would for a total of 7 PSI above stock would that be too much for the stock unported blower and the stock headgaskets? I am also nervous about the spark plugs blowing out on this thing. I have no problem changing the headgaskets or replacing the heads with performance ones if thats what needs to be done but this is a daily driver so it would suck if it blew up unexpectedly.

Maybe i would be better off with a 100HP shot of nitrous in lieu of the 4LB lower.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ford4ever
Just picked up a 2000 L a few weeks ago, mint condition with 22,000 miles on it. Already added a Bassani Catback, and a K&N Drop In, did the boost valve mod, and added Water Wetter to the intercooler. I already ordered a Valvebody, a Tuner, Electric Fan, and a 3 LB Upper Pulley. I will probably do a throttle body and upper intake when i have the cash. I'm sure though that all these mods will only keep me happy for a short time (i previously had a pretty quick mustang). If i were to install a 4LB lower pulley would for a total of 7 PSI above stock would that be too much for the stock unported blower and the stock headgaskets? I am also nervous about the spark plugs blowing out on this thing. I have no problem changing the headgaskets or replacing the heads with performance ones if thats what needs to be done but this is a daily driver so it would suck if it blew up unexpectedly.

Maybe i would be better off with a 100HP shot of nitrous in lieu of the 4LB lower.
most will say no more than 450rwhp on a stock engine. my mods are below

Old 09-09-2007, 09:50 PM
i strongly think that pulley combo will blow the stock block

Old 09-10-2007, 01:15 PM
450 Rearwheel HP will put you right at the edge of what a stock short block can handle. Its all in the tune with a really really really good tune you can run more, but once you go past 450 its not a question of if, but when its going to blow. Also how you drive it; conservative or like a true L' owner will paly a factor.
The head gaskets will hold up well beyond the rods.
I would suggest going to a ported blower if you plan on running more than 4lbs over stock.

I run a 6lb lower and a stock upper for 16.5-17 lbs boost and put out 440/500.
Mods in sig

Old 09-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks, i will stay with the 3LB pulley for the next month or so till the truck gets put away for the winter. Maybe over the winter i will have the blower ported and bump it up a couple pounds and get it near the 450RWHP mark. Theres lots that can be done to make it go fast without increasing the horsepower such as an electric water pump and light weight driveshaft that will get me RWHP without putting extra load on the engine. With that much power and a good suspension that should get it going fast enough to keep me happy for a while. In the meantime i can spend money on my drag truck that has been holding down jackstands for a couple years now!

Jon

Old 09-11-2007, 12:15 PM
As far as the Driveshaft goes, just put a ford 01+ unit in it and you'll be good to go. It's a nice 3 or 3.5 aluminum shaft.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Would i be correct to assume that they used the same driveshaft in 01+ regular f-150's (short bed, reg cab, 2wd) as they used in the Lightnings?? Should be pretty cheap and easy to find in a junkyard.

Jon

Old 09-12-2007, 11:12 PM
If I were you I'd leave the stock upper and just change to a 4 or 6lb lower. Changing to a smaller upper will just give you belt slip.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Ditto on ditching the upper. The norm for lightly modded L's is a 4 or 6lb lower pulley vice changing the upper pulley which is common on the cobra's. With just a 4lb lower, JLT intake, bassani catback, a tune and high 40* weather I ran a 12.55 at MIR. These trucks respond well to mods! Don't bother with the TB or upper intake at the moment. They aren't much of a restriction at near stock power levels.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Upper is already on. So far i have had no belt slip and that is with a stock belt so i'll keep my fingers crossed and put a gatorback on if i need to. I picked up a Ford Performance Trucks magazine today and there is a Lighting making 560 at the rear wheels on a stock short block with 90k miles on it and has been making that power for a few years now, so thats a good thing. Obviously some of these engines were a little more well built than others. I'm taking it to the 1/8th mile on Sunday so we will see what it does with these few mods.

-Jon

Old 09-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Ford4ever
Upper is already on. So far i have had no belt slip and that is with a stock belt so i'll keep my fingers crossed and put a gatorback on if i need to. I picked up a Ford Performance Trucks magazine today and there is a Lighting making 560 at the rear wheels on a stock short block with 90k miles on it and has been making that power for a few years now, so thats a good thing. Obviously some of these engines were a little more well built than others. I'm taking it to the 1/8th mile on Sunday so we will see what it does with these few mods.

-Jon

It's not that some are built better. They have identical parts. The weak rods we have will break under the right conditions/power levels. Some just are lucky and hold up longer than others. Your tune has a lot to do with this.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:56 PM
You guys always forget. The 99`s and 00`s engines are stronger and can handle a bit more power. I`m running 15 lb`s of boost with no problems at all.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:46 PM
17 - 18lb.'s here.........

Old 09-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Make the switch to some 373 gears too.

Get a CAI as well.

Roach

Old 09-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Quick Reply: Boost limit of stock engine and blower?