Lightning

Piston Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piston Problem??

hey guys... I have an 03' lightning with only 28000 k miles on it. For about the past month from a cold start, i hear this ticking kind of noise from somewhere under the hood and after she warms up the noise pretty much goes away and like it said it's not the famous ticking sound..it's only when i start it up..so long story short, i go to razors edge today to get the oil and fuel filter changed and when i'm about to leave i start it up and it makes that noise again..and this is when Paul the guy from razors hears it and says I didn't hear that before and I told him it's been going on for about a month. So he has me pop the hood and plays around and listens and tells me that it sounds like the piston is rubbing against the wall and blah blah blah..he said does it go away after the truck warms up and i said yes..so he's pretty much sure it's one of the pistons I guess..Now I don't know too much about this crap but am I screwed???? Does it sound like he's right?? And finally how much am I looking at it to repair if he's right?? He just told me to come back another day to do a compression and told me just to be careful with the truck..any and all opinions are greatly appreciated!! sorry for blabbing but this just ruined my day!! thanks

Old 05-21-2007, 07:08 PM
I think he was trying to tell you it has piston slap which is not unusual in newer cars with short, light pistons, low tension rings and light oil. Once the motor heats up and the pistons expand they stop rocking as much in the bore and the noise goes away. It's not suppose to hurt anything. Go to a heavier weight oil if you want to lessen or stop it.

Dan

Old 05-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Sounds like piston slap. If it is going away after it warms up there is nothing to worry about. You really cant fix it out side of pulling the motor and doing an overbore. What ever cylinder has the slap the clearances (piston to cylinder wall) are slightly off. No big worry. Alot of people with built motor's expierance it due to forged parts and clearances not being exact.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:25 PM
ok..so it's not like i'm going to blow my motor??? and yes that's what he said it was piston slap?? more responses please to make me feel better!!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:37 AM
+1 on piston slap. Very common.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Yep, piston slap - very common in a lot of engines, especially the General Motors LS series. My 5.3 Silverado almost sounds like a diesel until it warms up and then it's quiet as can be.

Bird

Old 05-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by 03BadAzzLghtn
ok..so it's not like i'm going to blow my motor??? and yes that's what he said it was piston slap?? more responses please to make me feel better!!
No No No! Its not piston slap! It is most likely a wrist pin bearing and it is going to wipe out your entire engine, and leave you with no rebuildable parts, costing you thousands of dollars!!!!!!!

Just kiddin' sounds like some harmless piston slap!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:26 PM
wrist pin bearing.... Good One!!

Quick Reply: Piston Problem??