Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New Lighting on its way

SVT’s Renewed Focus
Ford performance arm could be called ‘Segment Vehicle Team’

By BOB GRITZINGER

AutoWeek | Published 07/06/06, 7:15 am et

Ford’s Special Vehicle Team, rumored to be on the ropes as recently as 90 days ago (“Is SVT RIP?” March 27), is showing some signs of life.

During a recent Ford product preview SVT chief Hau Thai-Tang assured us the Ford performance arm is alive and well, employs 60 engineers dedicated to developing SVT products, and is planning for the future.

For now SVT will soldier on with two SVT-badged products—one car, the 2007 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 now on sale, and one truck. Thai-Tang is not revealing much about the truck, other than it will be based on the F-150 like its predecessor, the SVT Lightning. No timeline was revealed for production of the SVT truck, but it is not likely for the 2007 model year.

Thai-Tang says SVT is expanding, with future product falling into three segments:

Race-inspired performance, including vehicles like the Ford GT that appeal to automotive zealots (hint: If you read AutoWeek, you’re probably in this group).

SVT, the performance division as we know it, making traditional high-performance SVT-branded products such as the GT500 and the next Lightning.

Enhanced performance, offering appearance packages, some customization, minor engine and suspension modifications, and special wheels and tires. Vehicles in this group might not be badged as SVT products, but would be tuned by SVT and use a combination of Ford Racing parts and dealer accessories. Some past examples of this type of vehicle include the Bullitt and Mach 1 Mustangs built using the previous-generation Mustang.

The latter group is the one getting the most attention, because it represents the fastest-growing part of the market and a profitable area not previously tapped by SVT, Thai-Tang says.

SVT also will lend its expertise to other Ford divisions down the road, “but our focus is on Ford right now,” says Thai-Tang. Was Thai-Tang’s use of the word “focus” a hint of future product? Nah.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:48 PM
wait until you see the SVT FUSION.... HOT!

performance isn't too shabby either!

GAWD, I love living in Michigan...

BTW: repost

Old 09-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by l-menace

How much ?.... I need a daily driver that gets OK gas mileage and the dodge caliber SRT is Fugly ... and my buddies in my Ford club are still giving my a friendly hard time for the Dodge...

Old 09-05-2006, 12:15 AM
if its anything like the svt focus it will be getting mowed down by a friggin neon srt.woohoo.as far as a new truck it looks like saleen took the ball and ran.the thunder is a sweet truck.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by imortl04
if its anything like the svt focus it will be getting mowed down by a friggin neon srt.woohoo.as far as a new truck it looks like saleen took the ball and ran.the thunder is a sweet truck.
The Focus was never meant to be a straight line car. It was however one of the best slalom/autocross cars ever built, BY far for the price range. There are reviews explaining how it beat out the C5 z06, an M3, and a Jaguar (forget the model) in some aspects of track racing.

And I sure hope what was said in that article is true. Toyota and TRD have done a great job giving some minor upgrades to normal vehicles, and I think SVT/Ford Racing should do a lot more of that.

I know that Ford HAS released special lowered, and lifted F150s and F250s with Ford Racing badging for this model year. They are very badass.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:41 AM
i would spend a few more bucks for wrx or sti..and then go autocrossing since everybody in the u.s. is doing it..haha

Old 09-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Have you guys seen the videos Ford has been throwing out on the web? They appear to be new since Bill Ford has the title of executive chairman.

Hope they put their money where their mouth is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYZ4u0wq3xc

Old 09-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by l-menace

Its a MazdaSpeed 6. Engineered in Japan and built in Mexico. I drove the regular car and it just kept reminding me of the Tempo/Topaz

Old 09-14-2006, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by mark150
Have you guys seen the videos Ford has been throwing out on the web? They appear to be new since Bill Ford has the title of executive chairman.

Hope they put their money where their mouth is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYZ4u0wq3xc
here is fords bold moves site wth all their vids-
http://fordboldmoves.com/default.aspx#

Quick Reply: New Lighting on its way