Lightning

8/04/06--What a DEAL!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8/04/06--What a DEAL!

I've posted recently about ruining two sets of rod bushings on my moderately modified 2001 L. What to do? I finally contracted to buy a "low mileage, 2002, take-out L engine" from Kar Kraft Engineering.

When it arrived at Riverside Ford of Macon, GA, it looked 'new' but who knew? Well, after a week or so, they got to pulling the old engine, transferring my mods, and the intercooler/supercharger onto the 'new' engine. I had the mech put Densos in the new engine.

I went by today and the mech was driving it in the parking area . The hood was still off and it still had to have some maintenance done to it so I'll get it back on maybe Tuesday.

But, the "DEAL" is that "low mileage" engine had never been fired before The plugs from it were pristine as were the exhaust manifold's openings; no carbon, no sign of any ignition/firing whatsoever, no grit or oil mist on it, etc. ! I was sure just from looking at the exterior that it was new but the plugs and exhaust manifolds guaranteed it.

I am so tickled ! Now I've got to "drive it like I stole it" right!!!

New engine

Empty bay

New engine

New engine

Old engine

Installed--will be cleaned!

What a DEAL!

Dan

Old 08-04-2006, 07:56 PM
congratulations! Surely is great to enjoy the ride again!

Old 08-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Good to read that your back up and running again Dan.

Photo Gallery............Website.............Modifications

Have a great day eh !_____________________Dave

Old 08-05-2006, 03:31 AM
glad to see it working out for you

Old 08-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Wow I love it when you hear things like that.

Enjoy the new motor.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Stopped by at noon today and they are finished except for trans fluid flush and new rearend lubricant. May get it tonight; tomorrow for sure !

Any suggestions on what to do with my old long block? Any value to it with two burned crank journals and two ruined rods?

Dan

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 08-07-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Picked it up this AM. Runs fine but havn't hit WOT yet. Still checking out the brakes and tires as it had sat up unused for 7 months. Everything 'engine-wise' feels tight and quiet unlike when I drove it last and it was knocking away.

92,820 miles on it with a new engine.

Dan

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 08-08-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Just added more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to my L bill : Replaced front rotors/pads and my TOYO Proxies for GY F1s .

All done today. With the new engine and the temptation to 'use' it, my brakes and tires weren't "up to snuff"(old Southern saying).

The engine runs perfectly, even with the extra cold Denso IT 24s

Dan

Old 08-11-2006, 04:49 PM
good to hear! glad you're up and running again. Coming from east tx I found the need for an explaination for "up to snuff" humorous because I use it quite frequently. If you don't mind me asking, what happened with the old engine? It just start giving you trouble?

Old 08-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by BigSVT
good to hear! glad you're up and running again. Coming from east tx I found the need for an explaination for "up to snuff" humorous because I use it quite frequently. If you don't mind me asking, what happened with the old engine? It just start giving you trouble?
Texas is in the South !

About 8 months ago, I lost all oil pressure. I changed out the o/p sender and pressue came back but after a few weeks, it happened again and this time there was noise in the lower end. It had 92,000+ miles on it and when the mech dropped the pan, he found four, scored rod bushings and the cr/shaft journals were burned. He thinks I had delayed changing the oil and it had deteriorated down to a water-like consistency. I was using Royal Purple 5W20 and a MECCA oil filter No problems up until then in fact, it'd never been in a shop except for brakes and tires.

Dan

Quick Reply: 8/04/06--What a DEAL!