Lightning

Lightning Brake Performance SS Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightning Brake Performance SS Brake Lines

Who has bought and installed these lines? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on these and want to get some input from people that have them. Here is the website...

http://www.lightningbrakeperformance...rakeLines.html

I'm planning to get the front and rear kit. Part#'s 92788FRSS & 91561RRSS.

What do you guys think???

Old 07-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Love them! it takes a little time and some fabrication

Old 07-29-2006, 07:58 AM
I have them as well and am very pleased. I give them

The install of the rear line kit was very straightforward. Everything matched up perfectly.

The front kit required some modification of the mounting bracket to make them fit where the stock brackets mount. Basically drilling and tapping a second mounting hole...not too bad. The retaining clips that hold the line onto the front brake lines are hard to get on but I'm sure thats beacuse they are designed to hold brake lines...design intent...

Hope this helps...

P.S. Customer service on the order and shipping were top notch.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the info fellas. I'm not really looking forward to having to modify anything. I thought it was a Lightning specific kit. Why would you have to modify something on a kit that's suppose to be for a Lightning?

Old 07-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SWThomas
Thanks for the info fellas. I'm not really looking forward to having to modify anything. I thought it was a Lightning specific kit. Why would you have to modify something on a kit that's suppose to be for a Lightning?
Look at the mounting point for the front brake lines on your L - there is a metal bracket that is form fit around the line and it bolts to the chassis on the "outside" of the frame. You remove this whole assembly and the replacement bracket installs facing rearward, at the same point on the frame as the original bracket.

Not a big deal - you need an angle head drill and a tap. Works out to about an extra 15 minutes per side.

If you want, I can take a picture and post it for you.

Art-Man and I have installed 3 sets of these kits - they are good.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:57 PM

I decided to go with the Russel lines from Summit. They are less than 1/2 the cost of the lines sold on LightningBrakePerformances website.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:38 PM
I decided to go with the Russel lines from Summit. They are less than 1/2 the cost of the lines sold on LightningBrakePerformances website.
Let us know how these turn out. I was looking at getting some stainless lines myself and these seem like a good option. Apparently the Russell kit only includes one line for the rear though?

Old 07-31-2006, 08:50 PM
The brembo kit comes with SS lines. I highly recommend them

Old 08-10-2006, 08:47 PM
What is the diameter of the rear solid lines used in the kit. The smaller the better. Is that kit DOT approved?

Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2000Black
Let us know how these turn out. I was looking at getting some stainless lines myself and these seem like a good option. Apparently the Russell kit only includes one line for the rear though?
That's what it says, but it comes with 3 lines. The two front ones and the one rear line.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:01 PM
That's what it says, but it comes with 3 lines. The two front ones and the one rear line.

That's the rear center line only. That still leaves the rubber lines at each rear wheel.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by TrackBeast
That's the rear center line only. That still leaves the rubber lines at each rear wheel.
That's correct. It's hard to beat $60 for the 2 front line and the 1 rear center line. LightningBrakePerformance has the exact same kit for twice the price as Summit. Same part # and all. As for the rear lines at the tires, you have to get a complete kit with the hard lines that go all the way to the splitter in the center of the rear end. LightningBrakePerfromance is the only place I know of that sells the rears.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:29 PM
LightningBrakePerfromance is the only place I know of that sells the rears.
What is the quality like? I saw a guy that did the rear and it was totally inappropriate. The diameter should be as small as possible to maintain line pressure. The smaller diameter line cost more and many use the larger ones. That is a real concern on the road course.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by TrackBeast
What is the quality like? I saw a guy that did the rear and it was totally inappropriate. The diameter should be as small as possible to maintain line pressure. The smaller diameter line cost more and many use the larger ones. That is a real concern on the road course.
I don't have them so I'm not sure. I just know they sell them. I believe Skelton has them. Maybe he'll chime in an give a testimonial. Just in case you haven't seen it yet, here's their website...

http://www.lightningbrakeperformance.com/

Old 08-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm never shy about chiming, but I haven't installed them yet. When I do, I will compare the line size.

Nonetheless, I'm having a hard time seeing that the pressure would be any different with any line size. The way that I see it, a smaller line might take a little longer to fully pressurize the rear calipers, but system equilibrium should be eventually reached. What am I missing?

Quick Reply: Lightning Brake Performance SS Brake Lines