Lightning

Trying to pull my motor, mounts are giving me hell

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to pull my motor, mounts are giving me hell

Well, I'm down to the last little bit before having it out, and the damn thing wants to fight now. I got the driver side mount bolt out, but the passenger side won't budge, with 120PSI impact and 2 weeks of Seafoam Deep Creep soaking. I tried to remove the bolts that hold the mounts to the motor's body, but the one on the bottom is all but impossible to reach.

My goal is to pull just the motor and leave the transmission in the frame. Does anybody have some advice or wisdom on how to accomplish this, and what I'm going to need to extract the passenger side main bolts?

Old 07-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Is the problem that the alignment is off and that's why the bolt won't come out? Maybe you need to reposition the engine weight? If it's stuck you could possibly try some heat. I had a pinion nut on a Vette that I spent hours fighting after using lube and everything else. Finally I got a propane torch and heated it and it came loose. I was working with the torch right by the gas tank but by that point I really didn't care if it all went up!

Old 07-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Put the drivers side bolt back in, and then try the passenger side.

I had to remove both of mine (one side at a time) when i put my bassani shorty headers in. The drivers side came right out. passenger side took a few minutes.

with the drivers side bolt out, the engine might be pinching the passenger side bolt. I would probably replace the bolt once you get it out, I'm sure the head on it will be a little warped.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by l-menace
Put the drivers side bolt back in, and then try the passenger side.

I had to remove both of mine (one side at a time) when i put my bassani shorty headers in. The drivers side came right out. passenger side took a few minutes.

with the drivers side bolt out, the engine might be pinching the passenger side bolt. I would probably replace the bolt once you get it out, I'm sure the head on it will be a little warped.

That's what I was thinking. I went and purchased an engine leveler for my hoist to make this task easier. Am I going to have to ultimately unbolt the mounts from the motor frame before it will come out if I intend to not remove the transmission?
These mounts appear to only allow extraction by pulling the motor upward.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Master Of Pain
That's what I was thinking. I went and purchased an engine leveler for my hoist to make this task easier. Am I going to have to ultimately unbolt the mounts from the motor frame before it will come out if I intend to not remove the transmission?
These mounts appear to only allow extraction by pulling the motor upward.
Once you get that SOB bolt out of your pass side mount.
I assume you have tried a little heat, tightening and then loosening etc.
Maybe even give the bolt head a few hard bangs with yer ford issue tool kit hammer

Support the transmission using a jack and a lump of timber (lumber 2 x 4)
Lift engine and jack up trans till its just on the tunnel.
The engine should lift out easy.
Then ease gently forward for the final lift.
Take care of your AC lines on the passenger side of firewall.

Watch out for the steel studs that stick out of the firewall near the drivers side valve cover, if they dont get your hands first they dig into the plastic valve covers.
Cut those off flush when my motor was out - still have the scars on my hand.

Good luck with your lift

Quick Reply: Trying to pull my motor, mounts are giving me hell