Lightning

What could it be ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What could it be ??

Alright guys, just 2weeks ago I changed my sparkplugs, fuel filter, and got the truck retuned. It has run great till about 4days ago. It seems now I have a erratic miss. Sometimes its there, sometimes it isnt. As I said plugs and everything are new, so what could this be ? Im leaning to it being a coil pack personally but figured I'd ask everyones opinion first. If it is a coil pack I think I'm going to replace all 8 at once rather than wait for each one to burn out, so whats the best deal I can get on a set ? Should I go with replacement stock packs ? Or the Granatelli's ? Has anyone tried the Accel Supercoils ?

So far from my quick looking the Accel's seem to be the cheapest route, and I know plenty of people running the accel stuff on mustangs and stuff. What should I do to get rid of this miss and get back to enjoying my truck again ?? Thanks.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:22 PM
First check the connection on the coil packs. Especially the back 2, I had trouble getting it in and maybe it did not connect right. I had an issue with coil packs on my last L. Don’t buy all new ones, they last a while. Maybe it is all the dirt under the hood 

Then I would turn the motor on and unplug one at a time and see what happens. You should be able to see a change in the way the motor is running each time you unplug one. When you unplug one and there is no change then that should be the bad pack. The coils used to be like $50 and now I think they are over $100 at ford. Then you can check the volts on each coil.

Also check the voltage on the battery, maybe a clogged fuel injector, run a bottle of fuel treatment through it, with the tecron stuff.

If you can not figure it out, I will come over and check your plugs with you.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Tom I already went over all the coil packs and pushed down and in on all the connections. It seems to only do this crap in an on again off again kinda mood. If it is a coil pack rather than just replace one at a time I'd just do all of them and be free and clear. The ones from Granatelli are 350 right now and I'm thinking of ordering those. If I do I will probably want to pull the plugs again and put fresh ones in just in case.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:09 PM
ttt anyone have any ideas ??

Old 07-12-2006, 11:23 AM
I just got in from pulling all the plugs and coils. all plugs looked good so I reinstalled them. I took the coils and cleaned them with the electric parts cleaner. Let them air dry for about 30mins, and then reinstalled them. Took it for a test drive and the problem is alot less than before but still there. However when pulling the coils one of them came out in 2peices rather than 1. I know they disconnect, but I think this may be the problem and whats causing my miss(maybe not getting a good connection or something). I pushed the plug back together as tight as I could, but maybe theres still a bad connection. I need to get ahold of an extra coil just to see if I install it if the problem goes away

Old 07-12-2006, 12:02 PM
my L is down for now so you can borrow one of the packs if you want to check it out.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:37 PM
O.k. Guys I might have something here. even though I havent used it to program my truck in years, I dug out my old predator. All I did was plug it in and even though I didnt have any check lights, I had it read trouble codes. It came back with these

P0 356 Ignition Coil F Primary/Secondary Circuit
P0 357 Ignition Coil G Primary/Secondary Circuit
P1229 Charge Air Cooler Pump Driver

Now what the hell does this mean ? Do I have 2 bad coil packs ? I'm lost....also what is coil F, and G ?

Please Help.....

Old 07-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Blown5Pnt4

P0 356 Ignition Coil F Primary/Secondary Circuit
P0 357 Ignition Coil G Primary/Secondary Circuit
P1229 Charge Air Cooler Pump Driver

Now what the hell does this mean ? Do I have 2 bad coil packs ? I'm lost....also what is coil F, and G ?

Please Help.....
Looks like you could have 2 bad coilpacks and a problem with your IC pump.

P0351 Through P0360 - Ignition Coil A through J Primary/ Secondary Circuit Malfunction Each ignition primary circuit is continuously monitored. The test fails when the PCM does not receive a valid IDM pulse signal from the ignition module (integrated in PCM). Open or short in Ignition START/RUN circuit
Open coil driver circuit in harness
Coil driver circuit shorted to ground
Damaged coil
Damaged PCM
Coil driver circuit shorted to PWR

P1229 - Supercharger Intercooler Pump (ICP) Pump Not Operating The ICP DTC will be set when the PCM is calling for the pump to be operating but no current is being detected. Pump motor open circuited
Pump relay coil open
Open circuit between relay and pump
Damaged PCM
Pump motor shorted
Open circuit between PCM and relay
Poor pump ground connection
Check for voltage at relay, check fuse in power feed, check ground connection of pump motor, PID reading is on/off.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:31 PM
so if I change my 2coil packs my stutter problem should be gone ?? please say yes....I dunno what would be wrong with the IC pump....I have it rigged off a switch as well to help in cooling the truck off at the track and it circulates when you pop the hood and look at it....

Old 07-12-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't know. You need to get a shop manual so you can identify the f & g coils, then test them. Since this started after you changed plugs it could be the wiring harness/plug to the coils or the coils themselves. It's unlikely it's the pcm.

If you changed the wiring for the ic pump then I guess the pcm isn't seeing the voltage to the pump so you get the code.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:11 PM
how can I test the coils ?? I think autozone has an ohm meter for me to use if I need it...I just dont know what to do with it after I got it....

Old 07-12-2006, 05:22 PM
josh,
also look at the connectors to the coil pack. make sure the pins are not bent on the wire harness.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:24 PM
i would say it is cylinder 6 and 7.
a to g
1 to 8

Old 07-12-2006, 05:36 PM
yeah i figured it out Tom....I think Im gonna need to borrow 2 coils to check it out. if it works then I'll just buy a new set of coils altogether.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:43 PM
call me after 8pm to remind me and i will run out to the garage and yank 2 coil packs off the L.