Lightning

Gen 1 help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gen 1 help.

Hi guys, I've been saving my money up for 2 months now, and I still dont have enough to put down a large enough down paymeant on a 99-04 lightning so that my paymeants will be small enough every month. With the amount of money I make I wont be able to afford one for about 6 months.

So I was looking around at the Gen 1's, and I like em' alot, I found one that I can afford right now. I think im gonna go for it. But I want to know if any of you guys have had problems with your gen 1's. The one im looking at has 110,000 miles on it, do you think I can get another 100,000 from it if I keep it maintained well? And I would also like to know if I can do anything about those funky looking seats. :o

If I like what I hear, I'll get it soon, other wise I'll keep saving up for my money for a newer model or a diffrent truck.

Thanks,
Sean

And im sorry for annoying the forums with my various questions over the past month, I promise this will be my last thread.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by SVT2004
Hi guys, I've been saving my money up for 2 months now, and I still dont have enough to put down a large enough down paymeant on a 99-04 lightning so that my paymeants will be small enough every month. With the amount of money I make I wont be able to afford one for about 6 months.

So I was looking around at the Gen 1's, and I like em' alot, I found one that I can afford right now. I think im gonna go for it. But I want to know if any of you guys have had problems with your gen 1's. The one im looking at has 110,000 miles on it, do you think I can get another 100,000 from it if I keep it maintained well? And I would also like to know if I can do anything about those funky looking seats. :o

If I like what I hear, I'll get it soon, other wise I'll keep saving up for my money for a newer model or a diffrent truck.

Thanks,
Sean

And im sorry for annoying the forums with my various questions over the past month, I promise this will be my last thread.
This forum is dominated by Gen2 owners. You may have better luck on nloc.net in the gen1 forums. If you're set on a Gen 2 tho, don't settle for a gen1 and keep saving. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Old 10-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your a bit tight.

So... you just might want to check on insurace prices between the two. I suspect the gen2s just might have better rates. Just guessing though..

Rich

Old 10-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Yeah I haven't checked insurance rates on the Gen 1 yet, but I did on the 2, it was like 1300 a year. Im guessing the insurance on The Gen 1 will be less becuase its an older truck with less horse power. But im not sure, I could be wrong, I probably will be just for saying that. But Im gonna try posting on the other forums than, thanks alot for the link.

Edit - Oh yeah, Im not dead set on any thing yet, im not dead set on anything until I actually buy it. But I know I want a truck, thats the only thing I know for sure. and I've always had a thing for older trucks, so I think this is my ticket.

Last edited by SVT2004; 10-27-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:40 PM
remember to factor in fuel costs. i spend a *****load on gas everymonth. it is definately more than my payment is.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Gen1's are great. lots of them out there with 150,000+ miles many close to 200,000.
the main problems are the cross flow fuel problem which was a recall, but has expired. and there is a recall now in effect to replace a cruise control switch on the master cylinder. other than that there are no major problems, just normal wear items. the trannys are better in 94 and even better in 95.

I have 2

the one on the left has 1760 miles on it.

Jody

Old 10-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks for more of the info I needed. The model im looking at is a 93', Should I Try and find a 94 or 95, or will the 93 be ok? Its pretty cheap for a truck at 5500.00 (rounded) So if all else fails I could rebuild the tranny if I needed to.

And as for the 2 recalls you mentioned, can I take the truck to a local ford dealer and get the cruise control fixed, and since the other problem mentioned is expired, where or how can I fix the problem.

Also, does anyone know any sights that have parts and accessories for Gen 1's? That would be great too.

Oh btw, since you have 2 Gen 1's, maybe you could tell me about your interior, are you satisified with it overall? And are those seats any comfy?

Thanks
Sean

Old 10-27-2005, 09:02 PM
for the recall, you can type the vin # on fords website. I think ford.com look for a link to recalls. it will tell any active recalls for your vehicle. the fuel problem I wouldn't worry about unless it happens, just be aware of it because fuel can spill out of the filler cap if the tank is full. so if you are using one tank and is seems to be going down WAY too fast you know you need to do somthing about it. ford sells check valves that you can put inline but they tend to go bad anyway. the proper way to fix it is to replace both pumps. easiest way it to take the bed off and go in from the top.

I wouldn't worry about the 93 tranny, but the newer years are better. many 93 owners have had good luck with theirs.

I like the seats and interior..

Jody

Old 10-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by SVT2004
And as for the 2 recalls you mentioned, can I take the truck to a local ford dealer and get the cruise control fixed, and since the other problem mentioned is expired, where or how can I fix the problem.
Search "Dealer"....Not a whole lot of positive feedback on them. Better off looking to do things yourself or find a good honest shop that knows fords.

Quick Reply: Gen 1 help.