Lightning

Superchip for Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-1999, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Superchip for Lightning

Thanks to all of you Lightning owners for your fantastic response to the Superchip! Many of you have been kind enough to post your 1/4 mile gains, showing a minimum of a half-second improvement up to as much as .8 seconds in the 1/4 mile. The Superchip takes the new Lighting from it's stock rating of 360 hp, up to 400 hp at the flywheel. (25 hp gain at the rear wheels)

In addition, unlike any other product on the market, the Superchip works *all* the time, not just at WOT (wide-open throttle), so it gives a very nice improvement to overall driveability, and an improvement in gas mileage for most owners. From 1000 rpm on up, regardless of throttle position, you have more power available. Shift characteristics are vastly improved as well.

We offer special discounts to F150online members on the Superchip Flip Chip, so feel free to drop us a line, or give us a call.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 09-10-1999, 03:27 PM
PFA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi Mike,
I got my Chip as you said I would. Not much of a problem putting it in either. I believe there was suppose to be a relearn period?, if so how long should this take. I have noticed alot more low end acceleration. I'm going to the track on the 16th nad 18th here in Milan, MI and will post my best results.
Thanks for your help in my odd situation.

Wayne

------------------
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PFA
'99 WHITE LIGHTNIN'
RHINO, Soft cover
LoJack
Valentine 1
Mobil 1
Best ET-14.18
Superchip

Old 09-10-1999, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hey Mike, Sal here. I'm a little curious. You say that people have posted from 5 to 8 tenths off thier 1/4 mile here on the list with a Superchip? I have been following pretty closely and I don't recall seeing anyone who claimed they got 8/10s off thier ETs just from adding the Superchip. I couldn't even find anyone who got over 5/10s off thier ETs in any of the posts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bad mouth the Superchip, especially since I'm a competetor in the chip buisness. Fact is, I am pretty impressed with how the 99 Lightning Superchip turned out. I just don't see those numbers anywhere you have mentioned. Do you have specific posts?

SAL

------------------
Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

" TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

</A>

Old 09-11-1999, 08:11 AM
Mike I was poking around on the SuperChip Web site, under their Lightning application I noticed on their price list the following.

Cut and Pasted From Their Web site:
FORD LIGHTNING SUPERCHARGED MODULE & PULLEY 495.00 C

I'm not sure if its for the 99 Lightning because it doesn't say, could you shed some light on this for me.

Tt

------------------
1999 Black Lightning SVT all options, (Factory soft tonneau cover, 6 Disc CD, Class III towing hitch), Loyd one piece floormat (Fits well, looks good), Tail light covers (Killer painted black to match), Black spray in bed liner (looks very good), Windows tinted gray 15% on doors, Dark Limo on back glass, Ordered 1st truck 1/21/99 till salesman told me a $5000 premium would be added, On the same day ordered second truck 2/24/99 (BEFORE getting my check back), Took delivery 6/21/99 After MANY many MANY promised ETA dates, Build date of 5/20/99

Old 09-11-1999, 04:05 PM
Thumbs up

Using a simple horsepower calculater with 4900lbs as driver and truck [4760+140(me I wish)] and a time of 13.89 puts REAR WHEEL hp @ 361. Roughly +20% to get crank hp. www.dsm.org/tools/calchp.htm

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,#0975,Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99 Chipped w/SuperChip Flipchip chip, Mobil 1

[This message has been edited by 4D THNDR (edited 09-11-1999).]

Old 09-11-1999, 04:21 PM
Well guys I one of those guys who has no connection at all with any chip makers or tuners. I had a baseline best of 14.2 and once I installed the superchip I ran a best of 13.7. I made like 4 runs at 13.7 and went to the stock programming position on the toggle switch and ran 14.2 twice. My trap speeds also increased almost 3 mph. I too was very skeptical when I first heard of the claimed results. All I can say is look back on the original posts I made awhile back. Everyone obviousily has to make up their own mind when spending their money. I would not remove the chip for anything. It firms up the trans shifts and throttle response is better at all positions. If I did not think I gained by the installation of this chip I would be the first to say so but I did gain...no doubt. Jeff Oh I almost forgot...I have since run a best of 13.6(5 times) Hopefully with the air inlet mod I will be even lower next time.

------------------
99.5 red Lightning
High flow air inlet
Superchip
13.61@101.23 before air inlet mod.

[This message has been edited by JeffsLightning (edited 09-11-1999).]

Old 09-11-1999, 05:44 PM
guys, i don't think the lightning stock program vs chips is as simple as looking at charts, hp= tenths, the reason everyone is so impressed with them, is that they then realize how bad the spark retard and shifting is on the stocker. although peak hp does not change that much to reflect the .5 difference.
everyone who has a lightning that is now chipped has noticed a big difference in the launch. i'll ask you 1/4 mile racers, does your launch make any difference in your
times?

Old 09-11-1999, 06:04 PM
Thumbs up

I don`t think its fair to jump on Mike like this; instead go back through a couple of old threads-

https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000057.html

and

https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000058.html

Here you`ll find results which closely mirror those claimed by Mike for the Superchip (I don`t see any references to 8 tenths improvements, but I figure some people won`t post their results here and may email Mike about them instead). I`m not involved in the 'chip' market in any way, but from what I`ve read here I`ll be buying a Superchip for mine very soon (as well as a filter kit from Sal). But again, I`d like to say a big thanks to everyone here; this forum is a tremendous resource for all Lightning owners.

Mike

------------------
  • 99½ Black Lightning
  • Towing Package
  • CD Changer
  • Superchip & Cone (coming soon)

[This message has been edited by mikey (edited 09-11-1999).]

Old 09-11-1999, 07:08 PM
gp
all right, what i have to say is going to open a can of worms .i sent my chip back to superchip to have the shift firmness increased cause frankly i couldnt see any change.Rob at superchip called me yesterday and told me the chip does NOT affect the transmission or the shift firmness at all.he said they havent been able to keep a truck long enough to program the chip to help the transmission.so he,s sending the chip back and said he would call me when they could reprogram it for the transmission shifting.this is superchips telling me this so be nice.they still have one of the best chips on the market and the best people to deal with.

Old 09-11-1999, 07:45 PM
i had also asked mike a month or so ago, if they could firm up the shifts more, as i was not satisfied completely with shifts. it does shift "better" on #2 than #1, for whatever reasons, but i want transgo type shifting.

"Wyldman, did you install that level 10 yet?

Old 09-11-1999, 09:45 PM
Very interesting that the chip does not do anything to the trans.From a dead start I can put down at least 50 feet of rubber. I could not do this before. There have been a few times where I get sub 2.0 60' times. I give credit for this to Rt 66. They put down allot of VHT and I can't hardly spin the tires off the line unless I brake torque the engine to 1200 rpm and above. I can now sometimes chirp second which I could never do before.My 2nd to 3rd is allot better also. The engine is more responsive when shifting between gears...this must be from the spark retard that I have heard of. Boy I just love all this technical talk about our trucks. Jeff

------------------
99.5 red Lightning
High flow air inlet
Superchip
13.61@101.23 before air inlet mod.

Old 09-12-1999, 01:58 AM
MrBBQMAN,

No, I have just recently confirmed that it is the right part for the 99. The docs sent with the kit are for the 1st gen trucks, no mention made of the 99's. Installation is the same, just a different valve body size.

I had to check into the hospital yesterday for spinal surgery and that kind of threw a wrench into my plans to reinstall my SuperChip and get the shift kit put in. The doctor has banned me from driving for the next 2 weeks, making it even more difficult to play w/my new toys. When I can get them installed, you will be the first to know.

BTW, the surgery was a complete success and I no longer have the pain and numbness in my right leg. I may actually be able to walk w/o a cane and get to feel human again (after 4 years of unrelenting, non-stop pain).

I may have my mechanic come over and do my goodies for me anyway, but won't have results for a few days in any case.

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
Black 99.5 Lightning
Lojack
Superchipped!
G-Tech/Pro
SnugLid
BedRug
Invinca-Shield, full kit.
NOS KIT DEFINITLY - parts ordered, that RT is gonna wish he never sandbagged me!

Old 09-12-1999, 08:42 AM
Thumbs up

wyldman, we all hope you start feeling as good as that black truck in your drive looks,
"good luck", and post that tranny kit, when you get to it.

Old 09-12-1999, 10:49 AM
Wyldman, I would be leary of running the superchip with the juice (N20, not NOS), the chip likely advances the timeing, and leans the air/fuel mixture out abit.

(NOS IS JUST A COMPANY, N20 IS NITROUS)
-not flameing anbody, but every board I post on or visit, call nitrous, NOS. Nos is just one of a half dozen high quality nitrous equipment manufactures-

Last edited by 2000Silverbulletonorder; 06-21-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-12-1999, 11:14 AM
Chuck,

Best wishes for a Lightning-quick recovery!!

Mike

Quick Reply: Superchip for Lightning