F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Lightning (https://www.f150online.com/forums/lightning-50/)
-   -   New virus out - Watch for ZIP files in your email - (https://www.f150online.com/forums/lightning/144146-new-virus-out-watch-zip-files-your-email.html)

Speedin Bob 01-27-2004 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
Hey bob - Can you help me configure my Lotus Notes.. The Really expensive, corporate only, non standard, email client to get my Pop3 email on my home pc ??

LOL - Just kidding -

Any other suggestions...

Doug

LOL

Sendmail?

See you in DC?...

http://www.srinstitute.com/CustomerF...logo/cg107.gif

(just kidding)

:beers:

RipNRun 01-27-2004 11:53 AM

Eudora Pro?

--Rip

Silver_2000 01-27-2004 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Speedin Bob
LOL

Sendmail?

:beers:

Come on Bob - We are talking about email Clients here - NOT mail transfer agents

SVT_KY 01-27-2004 12:16 PM

Originally posted by scott015
i had 5 of them in my "BULK" folder this morning...

anyway, i didnt open them just deleted them.... but just curious... is there some free way to scan my computer? i dont have a macafee or norton or anything....

Anyone that doesn't practice safe computer practices and
has NO virus containment is a threat to the entire world.
Responsible use dictates you spend a few bucks (or get
the free versions!) and use them ...

/soapbox off

Oh yeah ... http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

FREE USE IT !!!

Silver_2000 01-27-2004 12:17 PM

Originally posted by SVT_KY
Anyone that doesn't practice safe computer practices and
has NO virus containment is a threat to the entire world.
Responsible use dictates you spend a few bucks (or get
the free versions!) and use them ...

/soapbox off

:bows: :bows:

easterisland 01-27-2004 01:31 PM

Well, I got an email from a company I do buisness with yesterday. It had the W32.Novarg.A@mm worm. The attachment included the following data.doc.....scr. I couldn't delete the zip file nortons didn't detect it. I tried to get rid of the file but couldn't. I took me awhile this morning, but I finally did it I think...
If anyone gets any mail from me delete it.
I have nortons internet security and antivirus. It scans for updates automatically and scans my email. I wouldn't of had the problem, but I thought the email was legit...

Don's Bolt 01-27-2004 02:35 PM

If you get this it isn't that tough of one to get rid of

Run a full anti virus scan, if it detects this virus it will try to fix it, but it can't.

After the scan is done, it will ask you to quarinteen it, so go ahead. Once it is quarinteened, go into that file and delite it.

That should take care of it.

Lucky this isn't a real bad virus, just more of a pain in the A$$

easterisland 01-27-2004 02:55 PM

Mine wouldn't quarantine and wouldn't delete. I had to change some stuff in the sys registry and run antivirus a few times. Took a couple of hours. The worm tried to spread some and norton backed up over 150 files on my computer before it repaired them.

LTNBOLT 01-27-2004 04:29 PM

We have found it best to set Virus software to Delete instead of clean. Cleaning can sometimes leave signatures of the virus than another brand of virus scanner will see as a virus.

We ran the Extra DAT yesterday for this virus and the full DAT this morning on our 5 Exchange servers. We started running a scan on these servers and found 2 viruses on 2 servers so far.

Since 11:30 am today this nasty bastage has tried to come in over 600 times.

P.S. Most are zip but a few are document.scr and file.scr. Trust nothing. There must be a buttload of unprotect PC's and servers out there the way this thing keeps hitting.

grinomyte 01-27-2004 04:35 PM

i never liked antivirus software, hogs up resources, not much but i like em. Instead i just do reformats often, keeps the computer much happier.

As for the reason, normally it's just a power trip thing, sometimes they are politically or personally motivated but it's uncommon, most of the time web site hacks are motivated by things like that, my favorite being the Madonna website hack that happened about a year ago.

Fast Gator 01-27-2004 05:13 PM

Originally posted by TXSVTLIGHTNING
Pretty much, just bored out of work techies trying to get revenge on the wolrd, LOL
or just maybe........think about this

We wouldn't needed any anti-virus protection or anti-virus upgrades if there where no virus:devil:

Silver_2000 01-27-2004 05:21 PM

According to the news until last week the worst mass email virus "sobig" was responsible for one of every 17 emails on the internet 0- This one is already at one in every 12

I have deleted about 200 or so so far

Doug

MISTERgadget 01-27-2004 06:22 PM

This stuff should be in general discussion! :mad:

WantALight 01-27-2004 06:22 PM

Shouldn't this be in General Discussion ? :confused:

VinniePSVT 01-27-2004 06:25 PM

Come on now boys and girls, lets take this over to general discussion

:devil: