Lightning

Anybody sell a 14mm thread chaser for modular heads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody sell a 14mm thread chaser for modular heads?

Had my heads helicoild and one of them must have a burr or kink in the first 2-3 threads. The spark plugs are hard to thread at first but then go on in. Once removed the first 3 or so threads on the plug are sorta mangled, but the upper ones are ok. I can seem to find a thread chaser that will fit down the hole of these modular heads. Anybody know where to get one?

Old 05-07-2003, 02:50 PM
Banned
not exactly the answer you are looking for but why don't you take them back to whoever did it for ya?

Old 05-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Cannot "chase" the threads on a Heli-Coil. It sounds as if the insert in not properly seated. Are they the wire type inserts? It is possible that when they were install the top thread did not seat. This would cause what you describe. Did the installer gage the tapped hole prior to installing the insert? The proper sequence is as follows: Drill the hole, tap the hole with a STI tap, clean the hole, gage the hole with a STI plug gage, install the insert, remove the drive tang. That is for a Heli-Coil wire type insert.

Old 05-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Spank- Well, the heads are already back on and the truck is running! I screwed 6 of the 8 plugs in when the heads were off and everything seemed ok, then got an emergency phone call(my brother had a motorcycle wreck, he's ok though) and had to leave, in the meantime my buddy come over and installed the heads with ARP studs. Soooooo.........

Old 05-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Sorry about the mishap Skank. When are you and Tim coming over to Hallsville? I should have my missing part tomorrow and make it to Hallsville Friday night to try out a new program.
I just wish I had some slicks.....

Quick Reply: Anybody sell a 14mm thread chaser for modular heads?