Lightning

this weekend it's time to roll up the sleeves and....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this weekend it's time to roll up the sleeves and....

Clean my baby like there was no tomorrow!!

Inside out shampooing, washing, waxing, buffing, polishing, you name it. gonna go spend some coin on the stuff tomorrow and will try out my new porter cable as well.

dug up an old thread i started about what to use w/ my porter cable and got a good idea....

also had a q: should i go ahead and claybar? how long does it take? i've never even heard of this until a couple of weeks ago and i'm a little hesitant to try it...

maybe i'll use my dad's mercedes as a guinea pig first hehehe

Old 03-06-2003, 11:04 PM
DEFINATELY claybar! its really easy to do, did my truck in about 45 minutes, and it made the paint just SOOOO smooth i didn't think it would make all that big a difference, but it did.

www.zainobros.com has some pretty good directions for using a claybar. Basicallly all claybars are the same, so the directions there may help ya out if you feel like reading. LoL. some good tips there on using it though

Old 03-07-2003, 06:48 AM
cyntaxx

WE WANT PICTURES WHEN SHE'S DONE
Maybe one with HER HOOD UP TOO

And Don't forget the REAR SHOT,
thats my favorite view

Old 03-07-2003, 06:50 AM
Site for info

Check out www.autopia.org and it will give you everybit of information you'd ever want to know about detailing as well as product reviews on what works well and lasts.

John

Old 03-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Gonna be 72 here today. Gonna give the truck a good wash,claybar and wax

Old 03-07-2003, 01:45 PM
Claybar

Did two vehicles with it and it made a definate difference in the way the finish felt. My moms car had some overspray that got blown onto her car from the neighbors painting and it was the only thing i found that took it off. Great product to take off alot of waste built up on your paint. Not sure if your vehicle is gonna have much on it since it's still fairly young...doesnt take long to try it out though.

One tip...it can get to be like a bar of soap with the spray you have to constantly put on the vehicle, so make sure you have good control of it cause once you drop it it picks up dirt and such from the ground and you dont want to rub that all over your paint.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Does the clay bar go on last?

Old 03-07-2003, 06:01 PM
Yea I may do some spring cleaning also tomorrow, its goning to be almost 60.. Dam I sure hope it's warming up...

PEaCE.................

Old 03-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by jrudd
Does the clay bar go on last?
Clay bar is done 1st, right after a dawn wash. And it isn't actually putting anything on, you just rub it across the lubed up paint and it picks up and pulls out the dirt and contaminats stuck in your paint.

Supposed to go up to 54* tomorrow and 50* on sunday. Nicest weekend since last fall and it figures that i'll be working down the shore again and won't be able to wash my truck....back in the 30's by tuesday

Old 03-07-2003, 08:06 PM
cleaned truck afor 4 hours.I feel like that guy on the comercial where his hand goes in circles from waxing.

Old 03-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Tips on Clay Bar

there are differences between them but mostly it will determine how much QD you end up using with it.. the clay bar removes contaminates from your paint.. it wont hurt your paint.. after you wash your truck, break off a piece of clay bar from the whole bar, knead it and flatten it out a bit, (you do this so that if you accidentally drop it then you dont ruin the entire bar). spray QD (Quick Detailer) onto a an area about 1/4 the size of your hood. Now rub the bar across the area and then wipe off the QD with a Microfiber towel.. (by the way, you can get all this stuff at Autozone if you dont have it already) Mothers, Eagle One, Griots Garage, Meguiars, etc... all make a decent version of this stuff. Now, here is the great part.. feel where you just clayed and then feel another part of your truck. The part where you just clayed is going to be very slick and smooth..
now knead your piece of clay again and do another panel.. repeat until your have covered all the paint on your truck.. shouldnt take too awful long..
For the very AR group that really gets into detailing and really wants all the info, go to www.autopia.org and sign in.. you will learn more there than you can imagine, buy the e-book and you wont be dissapointed..
Dana

Quick Reply: this weekend it's time to roll up the sleeves and....