Lightning

Performance Questions from a HD guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Questions from a HD guy

Hi all,

I figured this would be the best place to ask these questions.

I have descided to make my 03 HD an at least 12.## sec truck.

I am planning on another s.c. I have descided go with the KB, and I know the discussions of the Works v/s KB but descided on this one.
My questions are of the tranny and engine internals.

1. I know I will need new rods for one. I like the Manleys' any other sugestions?

2. Which pistons and rings seem to be the better performers?

3. I want to beef up the tranny internals. With the experience you guys have had what would be the areas to address? I know valve body for one, but the clutches/plates ect.

4. Any other inputs to the tranny and engine internals will be greatly appreciated. Please include where you purchased your items as well.

Thanks in advance guys.....

Old 01-31-2003, 08:03 AM
Manley rods are the ones chosen by most of 'our' rebuilders. Someone else will have to address the other internal mods.

Try and get ahold of Factory Tech. He is 'our' trans. guru. He makes a Monster Box that should answer all your torque/power concerns.

Good luck!

Dan

Old 01-31-2003, 09:48 AM
There are a few choices in pistons

JDM uses Manley and Probe Pistons

http://www.probeindustries.com

http://manleyperformance.com

They both work great, the probe are quiet like the stock pistons, the Manley are a little loud when you first start the motor.

JLP and PSP uses CP Pistons

http://www.cppistons.com/

I don't know a ton about the CP Pistons, but I hear they are inbetween the Ross and Manley as far as start up noise.

If you do do a engine internal buildup I would concider upgrading the bolts and fasteners

http://www.arp-bolts.com/

Any of the tuners can set you up with all the parts or build you a custom short blocks. Give them a call and they will take good care of you.

Old 01-31-2003, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys for your input. Was hoping a few people who have built up these engines would chime in. One can read all they want on the products and they all seem great.
I was hoping a few who actual use some of these products would have chimed in.
Thanks again, I may take my tranny question to that forum and see if fatory tech will be around for some input.
For all that are wondering I am looking at around 700-750 hp at the fly as my target. I know all the outside stuff I need to bolt on to obtain this just wondering about the internals is all. Don't want a suprise one night when a ricer thinks he has a car....

Old 01-31-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by ecm747x
Thanks guys for your input. Was hoping a few people who have built up these engines would chime in. One can read all they want on the products and they all seem great.
I was hoping a few who actual use some of these products would have chimed in.
Well you allready got a reply from someone with these products in their truck.

Here are some pics of my built lower end, with the Manley Pistons the connecting rods, and the ARP head studs.

Give JDM a call, they have built short blocks in stock
732-780-0770

You can choose either the Manley, or Probe pistons

Old 01-31-2003, 10:41 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the HD weight about 1000-1200 pounds more than the Lightning? And as an old rule of thumb, every 100 pounds is good for .1 in the 1/4. So if that is true, I'd get a blow torch and start taking some weight off that HD. That's the cheapest horsepower you can find.
noelvm

Old 01-31-2003, 11:33 PM
LOL, thats pretty good. Actually they are only about 600 lbs heavier, depending on configuration of the trucks. The weight on my truck was 5178 lbs. That was with an 1/8 of fuel in it and everything in the truck as when I got it.....
Thanks Don for the imput and the pics. What hp rating is your lower end built up to now, just curious...I am guessing 750 with the Manley rods?

Last edited by ecm747x; 01-31-2003 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Performance Questions from a HD guy