Lightning Concept Please confine your posts regarding the recently unveiled Lightning Concept to this forum. This will make finding information on the current Gen 2 Lightning much easier for our members.

New lightning questions...3 valve heads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New lightning questions...3 valve heads?

What do you guys think will happen in regards to the new 3-valve head design ford is going to put on all the 5.4L truck engines. I would think for cost cutting reasons and performance reasons the new lightning scheduled for 05'ish? would get these heads? Is there any confirmation they will use 3 valve or 4 valve heads? If they do use 3 valve heads + the twin screw supercharger on the concept what kind of power gain are you looking at? From what i've read they got 500/500 out of the 2 valve head design with the more efficient supercharger. So could we expect 530-550? I would expect them to drop the boost down some but would still have that extra potential when we mod them?

If everything goes as planned i will be going to iraq in about 6 months to work atleast a 2 year contract and make 6 figure income+ for those years and then come home. I will be in the market for the new lightning when i get back thats why im asking questions now.

kirkyg

Last edited by kirkyg; 09-13-2003 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:52 PM
I have asked a very similar question and the response I got was that the Lightning concept has 32 valves and I believe that was the setup which produced 500/500. What happens between now and 05 is anybody's guess, but I have read that there is a real good chance 6 speed tranny and independent rear suspension is already being shelved. There are just too many variables being shuffled around for anyone to be certain at this point. However, the three valve head with a more efficient twin screw could very easily make up the HP/TQ gap if they choose to not go with the 32 valve setup....

Old 09-13-2003, 02:57 PM
i've been checking out the new 5.4 04's coming in for PDI at my shop, those heads are funny looking, but, you won't believe this, the engine bay is BIG really BIG, it will be easier to work on, and probably only take an hour to change spark plugs.

plus the regular 5.4 04's drive really nice and stiff on corners and turns, so just think about what the L will be able to do.

Old 09-13-2003, 02:59 PM
not to misdirect this thread but from what I heard the Ford GT will have th superchargere intake we need to put the Navigator Heads on our "L".

Old 09-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Thanks I-Menace, looks like I'll have to start saving now. I was contemplating getting married, but first things first.

Old 09-13-2003, 04:48 PM
lots of stuff on the concepts never make it to production. why 3 valves though? why not 4, atleast its an even number. i wouldnt be suprised if we ended up with the same motor.

Old 09-13-2003, 04:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Actually the "05" GEN III LIGHTNING concept truck HAS a 5.4, 4-valve not a 2- valve set-up. It will also be running a WHIPPLE screw type supercharger.

Old 09-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally posted by swiseuf
Thanks I-Menace, looks like I'll have to start saving now. I was contemplating getting married, but first things first.
Now that's what I call DEVOTION to the Lightning!

Old 09-13-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by cpeapea
lots of stuff on the concepts never make it to production. why 3 valves though? why not 4, atleast its an even number. i wouldnt be suprised if we ended up with the same motor.
I'd be shocked if we ended up with the same motor. If they've already got the three valve heads in production(for the truck line), which would easily enable them to reach their goals in terms of HP/TQ, then it'd be stupid of them monitarily to go with the 4-valvers. Look at the power the 2 valve heads are making with only minimal coaxing....Reckon we'll just have to wait and see

Old 09-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Interesting...for some reason i didn't realize it was a DOHC setup that was reaching that much power. I REALLY want it to be a 6 speed though guys. Thats the thing i really didn't like about the current lightnings. I love them except i think automatics are boring and less reliable

I would think cost wise they would use the 3 valve heads because you'll get about near the same power in the end with less moving parts and a considerably cheaper cost / head.

kirkyg

Old 09-18-2003, 12:39 PM
I agree in that ford will probably use 3 valve heads. mabye from this or the GT some one will finally make an intake for the 3v or 4v heads for our trucks

Quick Reply: New lightning questions...3 valve heads?