King Ranch

fog light mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fog light mod

Has anyone seen a post to mod the foglight switch. It keeps pissing me off when i have to turn on the lights to use the foglamps...I want the foglamps on by themselves or I want them on with the autolamp. Why does Ford do this to us: limit our use on our lovely accessories?

Old 07-05-2002, 10:52 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey KingRanchSC,

Here's the link to the fog lamp mod.

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/foglamps/foglamps.htm

I did it... it's a VERY simple mod. I wanted the parking lights and the fogs to work together.... now they do!

Feel free to post any questions that you have.

RP

Old 07-05-2002, 11:16 AM
Thanks again RockPick...

Now where it says cut another ramp or whatever i cant really tell what it is asking to do. The pic that they give you is not clear enough

Old 07-05-2002, 11:33 AM
I'm such an idiot sometimes...hehe. I ended up reading the whole page and found out that i can just configure some wiring and i dont have to cut anything...that is all I have to do!! Yipee!! Hey Rock, is that what you did: just configure some wiring? This is what the page said:

To convert your foglamps to psuedo-DRL's you can splice the #5 wire to the #7 wire to have the fogs turn on whenever you rotate the headlamp switch to the auto position (filing the switch isn't necessary for this one). Or to make the fogs always turn on with the parking lamps, you can splice the #5 wire to the #12 wire (no filing for this one either).

This is great!!! I'm glad i read the whole thing before I started splicing up my truck!!

Old 07-05-2002, 11:44 AM
just done

Hi, I just got done doing mine, took alot of nerve since my baby is only 8 days old but i found out that on my 2002 king i didnt need to do the rotating *** thing to get the switch housing off, it is held in with tabs and used a small flat tip screw driver to pop it out. I took a dremmel tool with a small cuting stone and just ground the excess plastic away all the way across to the day time running lights, they talked about making a new ramp but i went straight across with it, poped the **** back in and wala! Now have fogs for everything! I used a utility knife to carfully cut away the heat tabs that hold the face plate on, and used superglue to put it back together. The only really scary part was the heat tabs but if you get the razor blade under the "weld" it just poped off for me that way i had a tab left to go through the hole on the houseing to glue back again!
hope this helps, good luck

Shar.

Old 07-05-2002, 12:56 PM
Moderator &

KRSC02,

If you pull the switch off, unplug it, and study the switch you'll understand it. Be careful taking the switch off as I've heard of the plastic snapping when a screwdriver is used incorrectly (attempting to pry it off at one point).

It took me a few minutes after pulling the switch off... just get a small flashlight or a well lit area to check it out in. I didn't cut the faceplate off of my switch either. I used some hobby files (which by the way, the dremel, if you have one, sounds like the way to do it.... the plastic isn't super rigid but, I can tell you this, my fingers hurt like an SOB after filing down another ramp on the switch. )

Let me know...

RP

Old 07-05-2002, 01:04 PM
I'm just gonna take the blubs out of the headlights !

Old 07-05-2002, 01:05 PM
And yes I know I said BLUBS.

It's a Texas thing....y'all wouldn't understand.

Old 07-05-2002, 01:06 PM
And yes I know I'm not a true Texan....but dammit I got there as soon as I could !!!

Old 07-05-2002, 01:08 PM
This is a great way to build up postings except I just found out that built into the software is a device to stop postings less than 60 seconds apart!

Old 07-05-2002, 01:09 PM
RockPick...

I dont think im gonna be filing any new ramps on my switch...I think I'm just going to join the wires together. That seems a hell of a lot easier than cutting a new ramp.

Old 07-05-2002, 01:29 PM
Moderator &

cutting the new ramp will enable you to run your fogs in either auto mode or with the parking lights. That's the only thing the new ramps will do... if you're not interested in having that, then don't cut the ramps.

I'm aware of a splice mod to simply have your fogs on ANYTIME your parks and/or your lamps are on. If you're looking to achieve that effect, it shouldn't be a problem.

I cut the ramps because I was looking for the parks and the fogs to be on at the same time (I just like the look) that and, I wanted the option to have the fogs come on automatically when the heads kicked on... again, just a nifty bell and whistle.

It's totally up to you.

ENJOY!

RP

Lent: lay off the crack man... that stuff will kill ya! ROFL!

Old 07-05-2002, 06:11 PM
cut out the ramps, the wiring together didnt do it for me!!!

Old 07-21-2002, 12:50 AM
i finally did it!!

well....today i finally did it...i cut out the ramps for the foglight mod!! i got it to work on the autolamp, but not the parking lamps...i did exactly what the guy did in that explanation. i cut a ramp for the autolamp, and filed down the parking lamp spot and filed a ramp from the parking lamp position to the off position. the switch works beautifully, but the only problem is that the foglamps dont work with the parking lamp, only the on and autolamp positions work with the parking lamp! RP and others that did this mod, please help!! thanks!!!

Old 07-21-2002, 03:37 PM
i got it!!!

i finally figured out how to splice the wires together!! i finally looked at that pic closer and saw what was done. now i can turn my fogs on in all 3 positions!! i'm happier than a pig in sh**!!

Quick Reply: fog light mod