King Ranch

Owner comments?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owner comments?

The wife is eyeing a KR really hard. Looks like a nice truck. Any comments on troubles or problems yet?

Anyone have a 2wd? All we've found are 4wd and we don't need it.

Thanks in advance.

Monroe
99 Lightning
97 Cobra Vert

Old 11-12-2001, 08:06 PM
You will hear differently from DAVEMAN, but 2400 miles into ownership I have had no problems whatsoever. I really like the ride as compared to my old Bronco, and really like the leather. From what I have gathered from much research on this site, take a real good look at the fit and finish before you buy. Roof paint, pinstriping on the doors and sloppy paint have been topics. DAVEMAN has had other problems, but I'll let him speak for himself. I'm going on a long roadtrip (2500+ miles) starting this weekend and I'll get to know my truck a little better.

Old 11-12-2001, 08:59 PM
Hey Monroe,

I wouldn't want you to be discouraged over my problems with my truck. I love my truck, it's just that I got a bad apple out of the bunch but my dealer is going to make it all better, I hope.

I created a thread on quality issues and it turns out I just provided an update a few minutes ago on the status of my repairs. I had a '00 Scab prior to owning the KR Screw and there was not a single issue with it at all. With this in mind, I bought the KR without picking the flysh1t out of the pepper and checking each little nook and cranny.

If you read that thread you will see exactly what I saw and come to your own conclusions. Bare in mind, nothing is perfect and the F-150 Screw, be it a 4x2, 4x4, Lariat or KR or any other, has some kind of quality issue and I think it's stems from the assembly plant level and not at Ford design level. I think the design is probably flawless for the most part; it's just quality issues getting the damn thing assembled and painted.

It's possible that us bitching and complaining on this site has improved the quality but I wouldn't hold my breath.

For the most part, if I wouldn't have removed my center console to install my premium CD changer, I would have possibly missed most of the problems I found. The paint missing under the passenger door cannot be detected unless you bend way over or get on the ground and so it's not really noticeable, it's just the principle of how much we have to pay and then are expected to accept much less than perfect quality.

Buy the Screw; you will be happy with it, I'm sure. However, don't set your standards of quality too high on certain areas and you will be safe. I'm just very picky about quality and I can't stand it when I'm the one on the receiving end of bad quality. That doesn't mean all F-150 Screws are flawed, it's just my side of the story which is not much when you compare how many of these suckers are pumped out the factory doors daily.

As far as KRs go, I think they are the best looking Screw going, and for me 4x4 is the only way to go. They look better, easier to work on, hold their value better and just make you feel safer no matter what weather conditions you drive in.

My $0.02 worth.

Good luck,

DaveMan

Old 11-12-2001, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I was against the 4wd. Wife wants it, the next owner will expect it, they are available - 2wd isn't around here (Dallas), so 4wd it is.

It is a good lookin truck and compared pricewise to that dressed up Chebby Avalance the Caddy guys have (her 1st choice) it is a good deal.

Monroe

Old 11-13-2001, 08:56 AM
i have got to put my point of view on this thread. I LOVE MY KING RANCH. and i mean that. i have named him Thomas, got him vanity plates and well i could go on forever. never in my life have i ever had this much emotion for a vehicle. i think the first person to scratch the paint will end up looking down the barrel of my sig 220 45 caliber. and i say that with serious conviction.

unless your wife is 4' tall get the 4X4

Old 11-13-2001, 08:46 PM
Get the 4x4 even if your wife is 4 foot tall 'cause it will make you and her both feel like you own the road.

DaveMan

Quick Reply: Owner comments?