King Ranch

keypad entry system

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keypad entry system

what do you all think of the keypad entry system? i really like it, but, i was messing around with it tonight and discovered something i think is a little disconcerting. you can punch in a bunch of numbers immediately followed by the correct 5 digit code and the door will unlock. seems to me this isn't all that secure! i think you should only be allowed one key press (to get the pad lit) before you have to enter the 5 digit code. if you don't get the correct code punched in, it should then make you wait for a minute before you can try again. seems to me that someone could play non-stop with the pad and maybe even accidentally get the right numbers punched in...and wa lah...the truck is theirs!

Old 10-09-2001, 10:49 PM
if i punch in the wrong code I'd rather not have to wait a full minute before I can get in my truck so I guess I disagree. With a 5 digit code there are what, just under 100,000 combinations? Seems like after 3 tries they would break the window.

Old 10-09-2001, 10:57 PM
Troy,

You do have a point that someone may get in to your truck the way you mentioned. However, they would still be stuck not having the special ignition key required to start the engine. Besides, if a theif really wants your truck, all he needs to do is get a rollback truck and just scoop it up. Theives will tear that thing all to he// in some shop where no one can see them doing it.

I agree with you that the security is not much but we probably have to remember that it was probably designed for folks that don't do well with security codes like that used in building alarm systems.

Another aspect of the door keyless entry that seems bogus is that any joe blow can walk up at night and press any button and can instantly see everything in you truck 'cause all the interior lights come on like a party is going on inside. I don't think the inside lights should come on until the proper code is entered. I could see the keypad itself lighting up but without the correct code then no lights inside.

My $0.02
DaveMan

Old 10-10-2001, 01:04 AM
logical,

i bet that after having punched in the wrong code a couple times, and then having to wait a minute; you'd never punch in the wrong code again!

daveman,

i suppose the system is fairly secure since ford has been using it for quite some time now. i do like your idea of not having the interior lights come on until the correct code is entered.

Old 10-10-2001, 09:49 AM
I think the main reason the interior lights come on with the keypad, then again without the keypad (lift door handle) is so that you can see inside the vehicle and make sure no one is hiding inside. It was/is a safety concern,,, aka car jacking....

Old 10-10-2001, 07:45 PM
Hey harleyrules,

I guess if you are right then there is always a price to pay for each and every little feature we ask for, "A".

It's hard to please everyone all the time so making the lights come on inside pleases folks concerned about car jacking and has the opposite effect for those of us concerned about theives. I think there are more theives than their are car jackers, I could be wrong though. Either way, I still don't like the inside lights coming on unless the correct code has been entered.

DaveMan

Old 10-11-2001, 10:03 AM
All good points but I suspect any good thief carrys a nice little flashlight and doesn't need to use the keypad to see what's inside.

Old 10-30-2001, 08:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anti-Scan feature

FYI - there is an anti-scan feature in the keypad to prevent someone from entering numerous codes in an attempt to stumble across the correct one.

If you press the buttons 36 times without entering the proper code the keypad will flash and not allow you to enter any more codes for one minute - this is explained in your Owner's manual.

Quick Reply: keypad entry system