King Ranch

Storing a King Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Storing a King Ranch

I just got an 06 King Ranch with 170k miles on it. Runs great, but I imagine the engine or transmission or something will be dead sometime in the foreseeable future, at which point I'll probably set it aside (to be eventually restored) and get a new truck.

I was wondering if there was anything I should be wary of when it comes to storing that castano leather for long periods of time... is it absolutely necessary that I routinely treat it to keep it in good condition? A quick search for "storing leather" showed that the truck should - in theory - be ventilated. Then again, I know next to nothing about leather, so I'm not making any assumptions. Has anyone stored a King Ranch for a while without using it?

Last edited by anon; 01-03-2014 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 PM
I'd imagine you'd want to keep seats/console lids inside a humidity-controlled dark (non-UV) place - ie closet, etc inside your home. UV followed by low humidity are your main enemies. May have to condition time to time.

My 2002 KR has been outside for 12 years (74K miles) but every month or so I condition the seats and also use sunshades in the summer months for the windows.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by anon
I just got an 06 King Ranch with 170k miles on it. Runs great, but I imagine the engine or transmission or something will be dead sometime in the foreseeable future, at which point I'll probably set it aside (to be eventually restored) and get a new truck.

I was wondering if there was anything I should be wary of when it comes to storing that castano leather for long periods of time... is it absolutely necessary that I routinely treat it to keep it in good condition? A quick search for "storing leather" showed that the truck should - in theory - be ventilated. Then again, I know next to nothing about leather, so I'm not making any assumptions. Has anyone stored a King Ranch for a while without using it?
When I was living part of each year in Texas and half in the UK, I used to leave my KR in my garage in the heat of South Texas until one year I forgot to leave the windows slightly open.
When I got back to Tx in November there were patches of mould dotted all around.
I did manage to get rid of most but there were reminders of it until the day I brought it back to the UK and sold it !
In the meantime I used to leave dehumidifying crystals in the vehicle which got around the problem.

Quick Reply: Storing a King Ranch