King Ranch

Painted BakFlip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted BakFlip?

Has anyone painted a BakFlip tonneau cover (the aluminum style) to match the adobe color on a KR? I've seen pictures of KR's with the standard black ones and they don't look bad, but was considering getting a BakFlip and curious if anyone has painted to match. I think it would look really sharp if painted, but not sure it's worth it. Their website says you can paint the aluminum ones, but they only offer them in black from the factory.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by F-150KR
Has anyone painted a BakFlip tonneau cover (the aluminum style) to match the adobe color on a KR? I've seen pictures of KR's with the standard black ones and they don't look bad, but was considering getting a BakFlip and curious if anyone has painted to match. I think it would look really sharp if painted, but not sure it's worth it. Their website says you can paint the aluminum ones, but they only offer them in black from the factory.
I had one of the first F150 KR's over 10 years ago (AArgh !!).
It was in Chestnut with the Arizona beige accents (Very similar to Adobe), and I painted the hard tonneau to match.
It looked really classy and I had lots of compliments and a lot of customers of the dealership that I bought from had similar paint treatment.
I think you would be very pleased if you did that too !

PS You don't say what the main body colour is..that might affect the overall effect !

Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks Lenticular,

Yeah, I think it would look nice too. The main color is the tri-coat white with the adobe two-tone. Maybe I'll get a quote or two for painting it. Thanks again!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Thumbs up

That was a sharp truck Lenny! Of course, the KR back then wasn't as common as they are today. They had to be "ordered", not just driven off the lot. It was a rarity to see one 10 years ago.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Timberdoodles
That was a sharp truck Lenny! Of course, the KR back then wasn't as common as they are today. They had to be "ordered", not just driven off the lot. It was a rarity to see one 10 years ago.
Hi TD,
And a Happy Christmas to you and yours !

In fact I didn't order that first one, but I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
I had got fed up with the fact that all 4 windows on my Lincoln Town car packed up within a 2 week period....unbelievable but true leading me to believe in the stories of inbuilt obsolescence.
I had never imagined owning a truck so had gone into Tipton Ford in Brownsville to look at an Explorer.
The sales manager happened to ask if I would like to look at something that they had only had delivered that day..the first KR that THEY had ever seen.
As you know I was blown away with the interior so was hooked there and then.
I took a bit of a hit on the Town Car which I imagined went straight down Mexico way !
But I so so pleased to be a true Truck owner I wasn't too bothered.
As they say..."I wasn't born in Texas (or even on the continent) but got there as soon as I could!!"

Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 AM
Merry Christmas to you and yours also Lenny!

If you have any old photos of that truck, I'm sure the OP would love to see them!

Take care of things over there!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Timberdoodles
Merry Christmas to you and yours also Lenny!

If you have any old photos of that truck, I'm sure the OP would love to see them!

Take care of things over there!

Thanks !
Just added pics in new thread....

Be interesting to see some of the original forum members posting pictures of their first KR's but it's so long since we heard anything from the likes of Skagel and Daveman who once bravely made the trip all the way down from northern climes to both visit the King Ranch and then kindly trekked all the way on down to the Rio Grande to visit me, bringing an embossed KR tankard which I still proudly display here in Wales.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by F-150KR
Thanks Lenticular,

Yeah, I think it would look nice too. The main color is the tri-coat white with the adobe two-tone. Maybe I'll get a quote or two for painting it. Thanks again!
On reflection I think you may not have enough contrast between the White and Adobe.....it would be a personal choice as I cant remember exactly what depth of colour there is to the Adobe.
See the pics I posted in new thread.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Painted BakFlip?