King Ranch

Another new KR owner here

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another new KR owner here

I just picked up a 2006 KR in the rustish brown color (anyone know the correct name?). It's got 67k miles. All I can say so far is, wow. I'm very impressed with the truck.
My 2nd day driving it I experienced a pretty nasty rough idle for about 20 seconds. (since google is my friend) I'm thinking this could be a spark plug or coil pack problem. Does that sound correct? I'll post some pictures tomorrow after I take it back to the dealer for them to do a final detailing.

Are the spark plug problems the only known issue with these years 5.4s?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by slo5oh
I just picked up a 2006 KR in the rustish brown color (anyone know the correct name?). It's got 67k miles. All I can say so far is, wow. I'm very impressed with the truck.
My 2nd day driving it I experienced a pretty nasty rough idle for about 20 seconds. (since google is my friend) I'm thinking this could be a spark plug or coil pack problem. Does that sound correct? I'll post some pictures tomorrow after I take it back to the dealer for them to do a final detailing.

Are the spark plug problems the only known issue with these years 5.4s?
I think the color is Copper. be sure to post pics. The rough idle could be a few things but more than likely a COP. Maybe get the dealer to check them out when you take it back?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:31 PM
I plan on having them double check everything while looking for the cause and, if they didn't already do it, do a full tune up. My KR was sold "Certified Used" from a newer Ford dealer but I let the finance guy talk me into the extra warranty (I've never bought one before) so I've got a clean 2 years to keep bringing it back if they don't make it right.
Knock on wood, I don't think it will be a problem.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Still holding off on taking pictures. Dealer still hasn't done the "detailing" they promised me. I spent all last week zipping around in a Ford Edge because the dealer was trying to find my idle problem. I finally went in on Friday to "show" them the problem since they could not reproduce it. Looks like my 5.4 needs a new cam phazer on one bank.

Last edited by slo5oh; 06-28-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:10 PM
I got my truck back on Friday but by Saturday it had repeated the rough idle. Sunday it did it long enough to throw a check engine light. Truck went back to the Ford dealer on Monday. 1.5 months I've had it and 2+ weeks it's been in the shop.... this is not instilling confidence

Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hate to hear that slo... best of luck getting everything straightened out.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Called the service writer, he said they discovered "Too much end play in the crankshaft", now I wait while they decide if that can be "fixed" or if they will drop a reman'd engine in it. Obviously my vote is for the reman as I don't see any sort of LEGIT way for them to fix "too much end play" without getting really creative. Not to mention the idle noise/problem that was seen as a cam phazer malfunction was probably a low oil pressure problem all along, so do I really want to drive away with an engine that ran around for WHO KNOWS HOW LONG with low oil pressure?

Old 08-16-2011, 12:12 PM
New/Factory "rebuilt" engine installed. Truck came back to me on Friday. Crossing my fingers there are no other problems.

Quick Reply: Another new KR owner here