King Ranch

Water leak in the King Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water leak in the King Ranch

Hello All,

We had some heavy rain fall in Atlanta on Friday the 13th. I rarely look in the back seat of my truck but on Saturday I was getting my windows tinted and went to grab some personal stuff in the back and noticed that water had leaked in. The back seat was soaked. The rain water left some pretty significant water stains. I know this has been a common problem with Ford and the 3rd brake light leaking and I am getting it fixed on Wednesday but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem on a King Ranch and if so, were you able to get the stains out of the leather. I plan on trying a light spa treatment and them clean and condition with leather CPR, I hope it works. Any advise and or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Moose62
Hello All,

We had some heavy rain fall in Atlanta on Friday the 13th. I rarely look in the back seat of my truck but on Saturday I was getting my windows tinted and went to grab some personal stuff in the back and noticed that water had leaked in. The back seat was soaked. The rain water left some pretty significant water stains. I know this has been a common problem with Ford and the 3rd brake light leaking and I am getting it fixed on Wednesday but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem on a King Ranch and if so, were you able to get the stains out of the leather. I plan on trying a light spa treatment and them clean and condition with leather CPR, I hope it works. Any advise and or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks
I havent had a leak in my KR but i have had water on the seats that left some small stains. ONly happens when its raining real hard and the seat gets wet while i am getting in. Just leather cpr worked great for me. Since the truck is a 10 model i really doubt the seats need to be "cleaned". I would just rub the leather cpr on with your hand and it should come out fine.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 AM
You are probably right, the leather in the 2010's seems a little more durable. I hope the CPR works. Thanks

Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 PM
I bought a 2010 f-150 King Ranch last month and literally 2 days after delivery we had a hard rain. The next morning a woke up to a water logged back seat. King Ranch leather is very easy to damage. The rain leaked through the 3rd Brake Light and discolored the passengers side rear seat from top to bottom. I was so upset I took the truck in the next day and the Ford dealership in my town took it back and found another truck just like mine at another dealership. The good news was they found one, the bad news was it was a $1,000.00 more on the sticker price. They split the difference with me and I was ok with that.

Now that I said that, the new truck I've had for 3 weeks now is leaking! I just got back home from being out of town and when I got to my truck at the airport I couldn't help but notice another LEAK!!! I was pissed at this point. The leak was not near as bad as the first, but still discolored the seat in two spots. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't believe it. They put a new gasket on the brake light and ordered a new seat cover. I found out it's $1,000.00 fix. I love my KR, but Ford has let me down now twice. Not happy.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 AM
That sucks, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hell, I had a 2005 King Ranch before this one and the tire and lube place I took mine too dropped it off the lift and totaled it. Now thats bad luck. I took the 2010 to the dealer yesterday and they found that it was not the 3rd brake light leaking but the sunroof. Apparently the drains were installed backwards and water that is supposed to run off the top of the moonroof were getting clogged and causing water to run inside of the cab. Not sure if I understand the dealers exact explanation, doesn't matter though, because they fixed it. I also had them put a new gasket on the 3rd brake light just for good measure because I am sure that would leak eventually anyway. They also approved me for a seat relacement. This was a huge pain but Ford came through and did what they should have to make it right. Hopefully I won't have anymore problems, knock on wood.

old one

new one

Old 08-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Moose62
That sucks, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hell, I had a 2005 King Ranch before this one and the tire and lube place I took mine too dropped it off the lift and totaled it...........

old one

Whoops!
What the heck happened?
Besides the truck falling off the hoist.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:51 AM
They put it on a lift that was not rated for the weight of my truck and the lift arm broke while it was jacked up to the top. It fell 6 feet to the floor on its side. The estimate to fix the truck was over $20,000.. so needless to say that it was totaled. They handled the situation very well though. They payed off the note on my truck and gave me another 10k on top of that to put down on a new one. They then fired all the people involved with my truck that day. I did not need a new truck, the 2005 was in mint condition with only 65,000 miles on it but the new truck is incrediable. I love it, except for the leaking issue.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Some of the sliding rear windows are known to have water leaks.

Sunroofs are nice but my experience with them is they are prone to leaks, squeaks, and need tweaks to stay well (2 vehicle experience).

Besides the water damage to the leather, you need to be concerned about mold prospects too.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:52 PM
I got a bit of water too that they attributed to the brakelight. The leather was badly stained but the dealership was great and is replacing the seat next week. I will ask them to check the sunroof now. Good idea. thanks.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Leak in f150 rear seat

Hi all, I have a 2010 Ford F150 King Ranch. We bought it new last year in May. My wife and I noticed this morning that water was coming out of the handle on the passenger side that assist you getting in to the truck. We noticed this a few months ago when there was water on the mat. So I turned around and went to pick something off the seat in the back and found the leather seat soaked. I got out and decided to run water til I found the leak. I believe its coming either from the rivet on the roof in the channel or the brake light. It must be traveling down the back on to the seat and running down the unibody tube to the front of the truck. Its going in on monday for tire rotation and a check up so thats when there going to rip it apart.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Wow, sure hope my new(to me) KR doesnt start leaking...it would be a shame to lose that leather

Old 02-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by keith768
Hi all, I have a 2010 Ford F150 King Ranch. We bought it new last year in May. My wife and I noticed this morning that water was coming out of the handle on the passenger side that assist you getting in to the truck. We noticed this a few months ago when there was water on the mat. So I turned around and went to pick something off the seat in the back and found the leather seat soaked. I got out and decided to run water til I found the leak. I believe its coming either from the rivet on the roof in the channel or the brake light. It must be traveling down the back on to the seat and running down the unibody tube to the front of the truck. Its going in on monday for tire rotation and a check up so thats when there going to rip it apart.
Did you ever find out where the leak was coming from?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My old 2002 k r leaked from back window,, also the sunroof front drain hole hoses leaked. never got around to fixing the drain hole problem. The rear got fixed.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:24 PM
king Ranch water leak rear seat

Remove the two screws holding the 3rd brake light. Look at the paint around the edge of the brake light cut out.The paint should be NEW around the edge.If it's is dirty at the top(like mine) to me that was an indication it was leaking from the top. I put a bead of clear silicone around the rubber gasket, and that solved the problem.However.when the 3rd brake light burns out,then i'm going to have to replace the rubber seal.

Quick Reply: Water leak in the King Ranch