King Ranch

olive oil for seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
olive oil for seats

been doing some reading and did the search and found that olive oil has been used on the seats for conditioning.

anyone have any comments on this? good or bad?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by projetmech
been doing some reading and did the search and found that olive oil has been used on the seats for conditioning.

I had seen this before too, but was told that it would break down and smell really bad. There is a whole sticky about leather care on this forum, check it out. BUT if you do try it, please post before and after pictures.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Yes, here's the comment....

DON'T !!!!

I've been working with leather in cars for longer than most of you have been alive and frankly I've never heard of anything so ludicrous !

The smell after a while in hot conditions would not be pleasant.

Now of course this is the point that someone somewhere will find reference to someone claiming it works....I suppose in some conditions and on some leathers there may be a feint chance of some sort of result.....but with all the tried and tested leather treatments out there I ask.....

WHY BOTHER ??!!

Old 05-26-2007, 12:13 PM
was asking the question out of curiostity. read it on this froum and then did a google search and people into horse riding seem to use it with success on saddles. maybe the difference is that they dont roll the windows up on the horse and leave the leather sit in the sun on a hot day. maybe with the right olive oil and a couple pieces of peperoni it would smell like a pizza place. seriously though there are a lot of household products that do a better job on tasks they were not meant to be used on than the commercially available ones sold specifically for the task.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:13 PM
was asking the question out of curiostity. read it on this froum and then did a google search and people into horse riding seem to use it with success on saddles. maybe the difference is that they dont roll the windows up on the horse and leave the leather sit in the sun on a hot day. maybe with the right olive oil and a couple pieces of peperoni it would smell like a pizza place. seriously though there are a lot of household products that do a better job on tasks they were not meant to be used on than the commercially available ones sold specifically for the task.
Yes...seriously I appreciate what you are saying about using alternatives successfully at times.
However the number of people that have used all the tried and trusted methods on the forum over the years should be relied on.

Perhaps on a horse there are other odors that may be emitted making the Olive oil smell insignificant !!

Old 05-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Perhaps on a horse there are other odors that may be emitted making the Olive oil smell insignificant !!
living in new jersey and driving the turnpike, i might not even smell the olive oil.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yikes, I would not want to try it.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 AM
not want to try what...........the olive oil or living in nj

Old 05-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not want to try what...........the olive oil or living in nj

Both.

Quick Reply: olive oil for seats