King Ranch

When shopping for a King Ranch...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When shopping for a King Ranch...

I highly recommend you look at a few trucks and compare the leather. We looked at 3 trucks and found fairly noticeable variations in quality "feel" of the leather. I know it all comes from King Ranch, but there were some areas where the hide felt thinner and some areas where the finish wasn't as uniform. Since what makes the King Ranch so unique is the leather, I'd caution you buying the first one you see and ask that you see at least one or two others so you can compare the leather.

The leather quality in the 07 that we purchased is much better than our 06and right on par with my 03.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:23 PM
There definitely is a lot of variation, that's one of the things I kind of like, but I'm one that doesn't mind some of the imperfections etc showing as I think it gives it a very unique look....

Old 05-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep in mind that you're using much less refined leather -- it's gone through much less tanning and such.

The leather is actually out of a tannery in New York called Garden State Tannery, I believe.

In my 01, there was a nice 'gash' where it looked like the cow had probably been snubbed by a barbed wire fence or similar. My 05' has one or two spots that are very unique. Every hide will be different and, as such, you'll note variations...

My personal opinion is that this is a 'perk' to having a KR... the individuality.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:24 PM
king ranch/lariat

What is the difference between king ranch vs lariat. both have leather

Old 05-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by 05extcabflare
I'm sure others can elaborate more on this, but the King Ranch has "castano" leather (though chaparral leather is on the 2008 super dutys), it has quite a different feel and is dyed a color unique to the King Ranch trucks.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Lariat leather:

King Ranch leather:

Old 05-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the pictures of the lariat and king ranch. Is there any suspension difference. When I shopping for a truck I did notice king ranch came with 4.10 gears and the fx4 didn't. but I perfer cloth interior over leather.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by 05extcabflare
The King Ranch seats are 100% leather (front, sides, back). The Lariat only has leather seating surfaces.

To me there is no comparing Lariat and King Ranch. I compared the two side by side at the dealer. The drive trains are identical. But there is a night and day difference in the interiors. King Ranch wins.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Keep in mind that you're using much less refined leather -- it's gone through much less tanning and such.

The leather is actually out of a tannery in New York called Garden State Tannery, I believe.

In my 01, there was a nice 'gash' where it looked like the cow had probably been snubbed by a barbed wire fence or similar. My 05' has one or two spots that are very unique. Every hide will be different and, as such, you'll note variations...

My personal opinion is that this is a 'perk' to having a KR... the individuality.
For sure! I 100% agree with you. I found one that had a lot of nice variations that will age real nice with time. I guess I should have said in my initial post that some of the variations in the hide may not be ideal in some of the "wear" areas...for example, one of the KRs I looked at the leather on the side bolster felt thin and was noticeably lighter than the rest...I didn't think that would wear well.

Quick Reply: When shopping for a King Ranch...