King Ranch

New key and remote options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New key and remote options?

When i bought my used KR I only got one key and one remote. I went to a local dealer to get another set and they wanted an about $140 dollars total for the key with programing. I didn't even inquire about the price of the remote because I knew it would be a lot more. I know some people sell keys and remotes on ebay that you can program yourself for very very cheap. There is a particular seller that has great reviews but I'm concerned about going this route because the dealer warned me you could cause some damage if you try starting the car with a key that isn't properly programmed. Has anyone ever programmed their own keys or remotes. By the way the dealer also wanted $40 to get me the factory code for the door(keyless entry). IF anyone knows another way for this also it would really help.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:18 PM
I looked at these keys again and I think I got it wrong, you're not programming the key but bypassing the security system. I guess I don't mind as long as it doesn't screw anything up. I just need the key in case I loose the only one I have. This is a direct quote from the seller's description.

"These keys can be used as your everyday factory replacement. They can act as a transponder bypass and used with most popular security systems and remote starts to bypass the oem security when remote starting"

Old 05-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Try a local locksmith. In my area they all have the device to program the PAT key, and charge around $40.00 which also included the key.

My local dealership wanted about $120.00

Once you have two programmed keys you can program additional keys yourself. Up to four total I believe.

If you go that route, be sure and purchase two extra blank PAT keys from ebay ($20.00), have them cut by a locksmith, then program them yourself. Then take two of the keys and store them in a safe place. That way you always have the means to program your own keys. If you should lose all your keys, the locksmith told me it would be well over $250.00 to program a new one. Then you are back to square one and have to purchase an additional programmed key.

Here is the procedure if you have two programmed keys:

1. Make sure you have both keys.
2. Turn on car but don't start. Watch "theft" indicator until it goes out.
3. Turn off and repeat procedure with second key.
4. After "theft" light goes out, insert new key and turn on.
5. Wait until the theft indicator goes off and then turn off switch.
6. Wait thirty seconds. New key is now programmed into security module. Repeat for any other keys.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 AM
AS for your keyless entry look under the dash(drivers side I believe) you will see a box with the factory code on it. Others have had this problem in the past.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:13 PM
yes I got the code already from doing a little research on here. It's amazing how the dealer wants to bank on any opportunity they can. They wanted 40 dollars to tell me the code.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Holy CRAP. That's why I hate dealers like that!!! They give ALL dealers a bad rap. We sell PATS keys for about $20 and charge 1/2 hour to program (unless you have 2 keys, and we can just cycle them-then it's free!) So for about $50 or less you have a new key. Also we don't charge to get you the keyless entry code, even IF I use the NGS and pull it that way.

Shane

Quick Reply: New key and remote options?