King Ranch

looking for leather dye for my steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for leather dye for my steering wheel

I have a 05 s/c King Ranch that needs some touchup on the steering wheel,it is all blotchy in color. Looking for somewhere to purchase enough dye to touchup the steering wheel,don't need very much.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by jetmech23
I have a 05 s/c King Ranch that needs some touchup on the steering wheel,it is all blotchy in color. Looking for somewhere to purchase enough dye to touchup the steering wheel,don't need very much.
Can you post some pictures so we can help you out?

Have you checked out the leather sticky in the KR section?

Old 01-15-2007, 09:43 AM
pictures

Thanks for your reply Rolling Rock (that sounds like a Pittsburgh name)
I am posting some pictures. I did check the stickys and couldn't find any dye for sale. I am stumped I was going to post some pictures but can't figure how to do it. Help please.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 AM
You might want to give ColorNew a call, their website is www.colornew.com to see if they have any recommendations.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks for your reply Rolling Rock (that sounds like a Pittsburgh name)
I am posting some pictures. I did check the stickys and couldn't find any dye for sale. I am stumped I was going to post some pictures but can't figure how to do it. Help please.
I am in Texas....but drink a lot of RollingRock beer.

Best thing to do is to create a gallary and give us the link so we can look. If you were in TX or FL there is a company that can shoot your seats with dye to match and they "specialize" in KR.

They have some before and after pictures listed in the KR section. If you travel down here, may be worth getting done. If not, i think you can fix it yourself with some work.

Build your gallary and upload some photos then give us the link and we'll go from there.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Link to Steering Wheel Pictures

*images added - RP*

Last edited by Rockpick; 01-15-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:51 AM
First glance, it doesn't look that bad and I think you can get it back to normal or close to it with some work.

My suggestion. Go look at posts from RockPick (not RollingRock) and see his posts on the warm water cleaning method. It appears that your discoloration is from oil...body oil and dirt.

I would use microfiber rags for this process but get some warm water and wrap the wheel till it is saturated. Once that is done lightly rub the wheel with the rags...you WILL see dark color on the rag, rinse and keep going. Do this process several times....then this is important. Wait until the leather is completely dry....then put the KR cleaner conditioner on it.

Anyone else want to chime in.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:15 PM
I'd agree with RollingRock, probably can make a big improvement just by cleaning. I've used the technique described with good success...others have also suggested for bad stains using some Johnsons Baby Wash to help out....just be patient and take your time....and definitely condition afterwards...also probably works a bit better if the ambient temperature is warm so the leather is as flexible as possible.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks Rolling Rock and Plunds01 for all your help. I will try both of your suggestions.I will have to put off trying your suggestions till our weather warms up some.....the temp tomorrow is going to be 19 degrees in morning.
I think we are finally going to have some winter weather,it was 57 degrees here today.

Quick Reply: looking for leather dye for my steering wheel