King Ranch

Fixed That Leak Myself!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed That Leak Myself!

Well, I finally was in town long enough to pay a visit to the dealership to talk about my interior water leak problem. They poked around for a TSB and came up with nothing. They called the hotline, where they were instructed to fix the seal on the third break light. I explained that I had already tested for a leak on the third break light and came up negative. They said "the hotline wants us to start with the light, so that's what we're going to do." Having studied auto body work for nearly a year in a different life, I knew that tearing something apart unnecessarily is never a good thing. It just never goes back together quite the same as from the factory. Plus, it was going to waste my limited time.

So I set about to find the source of the leak myself this weekend. It turned out to be where the windshield meets up with the "A pillar" on the passenger side. I plugged it with a little "35-year" outdoor caulking. No leak.

I think I'm still going to take it in and see if they have a more "professional" fix in mind. But I'm not letting them touch my third break light! This photo is a little fuzzier than I had hoped, but you get the idea:

Old 09-18-2005, 08:05 PM
While you're at the dealer, make sure they don't mess with the third brake light, either.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Kool Aid
While you're at the dealer, make sure they don't mess with the third brake light, either.

Good idea. I think I'll make sure they don't mess with the third break light at the dealer.

(love that dancin' banana guy!)

Quick Reply: Fixed That Leak Myself!