King Ranch

KingRanch BodyStyle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KingRanch BodyStyle?

Hi all,

Just drove an '05 KR last weekend. What an amazing truck! As much as I love my current Chevy, it's obvious which truck has recently had alot of money spent on it's redesign and which truck badly needs it. Trying to configure one on the ford.ca website though is an exercise in frustration. I can only choose the KR package on a crewcab model, not the supercab. Yet I'm sure I've seen one or two old style KR's in the supercab. Do they no longer make this configuration? I really do use all of the 6-1/2 foot box of my current truck. A crewcab would be fine (and certainly more hospitable for passengers for the once in a blue moon there's more than just the driver or driver and one passenger) but I cannot choose that box size with a crewcab, only the short shortbox. Now I can choose box size on a SuperDuty, again the KR only appears if you choose the crewcab, but I don't think I need that much truck (nor expense) for my mostly fairly light duty use. Anybody more knowledgeable on configuration options for these trucks? Or am I just not reading the configurations on the site carefully enough and missing where to choose the options?

Old 03-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: KingRanch BodyStyle?

Originally posted by GMCSierra
Hi all,

Just drove an '05 KR last weekend. What an amazing truck! As much as I love my current Chevy, it's obvious which truck has recently had alot of money spent on it's redesign and which truck badly needs it. Trying to configure one on the ford.ca website though is an exercise in frustration. I can only choose the KR package on a crewcab model, not the supercab. Yet I'm sure I've seen one or two old style KR's in the supercab. Do they no longer make this configuration? I really do use all of the 6-1/2 foot box of my current truck. A crewcab would be fine (and certainly more hospitable for passengers for the once in a blue moon there's more than just the driver or driver and one passenger) but I cannot choose that box size with a crewcab, only the short shortbox. Now I can choose box size on a SuperDuty, again the KR only appears if you choose the crewcab, but I don't think I need that much truck (nor expense) for my mostly fairly light duty use. Anybody more knowledgeable on configuration options for these trucks? Or am I just not reading the configurations on the site carefully enough and missing where to choose the options?
Hello GMC!

If you're looking at the 2005, it's only available in a SUPERCREW configuration. Word on the street is that it won't be available in a SUPERCAB config. any time soon (I'm not sure how good my data source is on that however. He is in design with FoMoCo though...).

If you're looking at a 2001-2003... 2001 yielded only SuperCrews (I had one up until Nov). In 02, they started with the SuperCab configuration but, you don't see many of them for some reason. In 03', they added the flareside supercab configuration (I've seen three of these TOTAL --- two were on a lot side by side).

As for SuperDuty. It's Crew or nothing again. You're right, that's a beast of a truck... huge in fact. Land yachtish.

I hope this helps a little bit. Let us know if you have any other questions!

RP

Old 03-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks muchly for the answer RP. Heh, hard to get much more in there than FoMoCo design! At least now I know that I wasn't imagining things, that I have seen 1 or 2 SCab KR's around (even 1 with the flareside box you mention), though I can imagine that Ford might decide not to make them based on the fact that I've seen far fewer of them around than the SCrew based model. I can always hope for '06 or '07, just like I hope for a factory Sirius radio solution, and the rumored maybe small diesel. I might learn to like the idea of a SCrew too. It just seems a bit of a shame to step all the way up to a Lariat and not go the bit extra distance for the KR too. Since the mechanicals are what costs on these trucks, you do get a huge amount of extra luxury for not as much cost as you might think over even a XLT model.

I'd be looking '05 (or '06 or '07, I'm fortunate not to have to be in a rush to purchase anything, can just hang out and read and learn for now). I had thought of upgrading to a newer used truck, but there is such a difference it seems between the '03 and '04 models that to me it makes sense to go new and plan on keeping the next one 7-8 years as well.

LoL, yeah 'land yachtish' is an accurate description IMO of the SD trucks. My company truck is an '04 (unfortunately the other end of the luxury spectrum from a KR) and they definitely have their place and use. I could not recommend one however for a daily driver, unless you truly need that much truck to tow your fifth wheel or cattle liner or something. If the truck's use will be primarily lighter duty towing and hauling, a 150 would IMO be a better choice. Ford was smart to separate the two series of trucks so that each could be better designed to meet the customers' intended needs.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Moderator &

Glad to have helped... if you have any other questions, feel free to fire away...

We've got a heck of a group of great people here at f150online and, even more specifically, here in the KR forum... Enjoy your search and, again, let us know if you have any questions!

RP

Old 03-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Glad to have helped... if you have any other questions, feel free to fire away...

We've got a heck of a group of great people here at f150online and, even more specifically, here in the KR forum... Enjoy your search and, again, let us know if you have any questions!

RP
Thanks RP, I'll be sure to do just that if I think of any other questions. These forums (and this KR one in particular) all seem to have great people who are passionate about their vehicles and are more than willing to answer any questions (even to a guy that currently drives a chevy ), That is IMO some of the most fun parts of buying a new vehicle, the research and such, keeping up with what's changing and what's new. Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by GMCSierra
Thanks RP, I'll be sure to do just that if I think of any other questions. These forums (and this KR one in particular) all seem to have great people who are passionate about their vehicles and are more than willing to answer any questions (even to a guy that currently drives a chevy ), That is IMO some of the most fun parts of buying a new vehicle, the research and such, keeping up with what's changing and what's new. Thanks again!
I'm guessing that the majority of the guys here will kindly look over the fact that you're driving a *gasp* GM Vehicle.

Glad to have helped buddy... take care.

=RP=

Quick Reply: KingRanch BodyStyle?